Dr. Prabhu is a Buffalo Spree Top Doctor! See all of our physicians who made this year's list.
Specializing In:Interventional/Therapeutic Endoscopy - EUS/ERCP Management of complex colon polyps Endoscopic training and education
About Anoop Prabhu
I grew up in the Hudson Valley in Newburgh, New York, attended college at Cornell University and received my medical degree here at SUNY Buffalo. I moved to Ann Arbor, Michigan for six years to receive further training in both Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology at the University of Michigan Medical Center, training at one of the largest programs in the country. I then spent an additional year in an Interventional Endoscopy Fellowship at Mount Sinai in New York City where I received specialized training in complex endoscopic procedures and the procedural management of disease of the pancreas, bile ducts, liver, and GI tract.
After I completed my training, I returned to Michigan and served on the faculty both at the University of Michigan and the Ann Arbor VA Medical center. During my time there I grew the program at the VA into the primary regional referral center for complex endoscopic cases for veterans while serving as the Director of Endoscopy and eventually the Associate Chief of Gastroenterology. During that time time I also helped train 13 Interventional Endoscopy fellows and over 40 Gastroenterology fellows at the University of Michigan.
I returned to Buffalo and joined Roswell Park in 2021, in part to give back to the area that trained me and to help provide high quality care to the residents of Western New York.
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Associate Professor of Oncology
- Department of Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology
Jacobs School Of Medicine And Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York at Buffalo
- Associate Professor of Medicine
Education and Training:
- 2003-2007- MD, Jacobs School Of Medicine And Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY
- 2007-2010 - Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI
- 2010-2013- Gastroenterology, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI
- 2013-2014- Interventional Endoscopy, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY
- Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- American Gastroenterology Association
- New York Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- American Telemedicine Association
- July 2014-June 2018 - Clinical Lecturer, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology Michigan Medicine, Ann Arbor, MI
- July 2018 - Present - Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology Michigan Medicine, Ann Arbor, MI
- Director of Endoscopic Training, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology Michigan Medicine, Ann Arbor, MI
Honors & Awards:
- 2021 - VA Ann Arbor Patient Safety Award of Excellence
- 2019 - University of Michigan GI Fellowship – Outstanding Endoscopy Teaching Award
- 2018 - University of Michigan GI Fellowship – Outstanding Endoscopy Teaching Award
- 2017 - University of Michigan GI Fellowship – Outstanding Endoscopy Teaching Award
- 2012 - University of Michigan Health System “Making a Difference” Employee Recognition Award
- 2010 - University of Michigan Health System “Making a Difference” Employee Recognition Award
- 2009 - University of Michigan Health System “Making a Difference” Employee Recognition Award
Featured on Cancer Talk
Wright AP, Patel AH, Farida JP, Suresh S, Rizk RS, Prabhu A. “Simulation training improves trainee technical skill and procedural attitudes in endoscopic gastrostomy tube placement.” Simul Health 2021 May 14. PMID: 33993139
Chisholm PR, Patel AH, Law RJ, Schulman AR, Bedi AO, Kwon RS, Wamsteker EJ, Anderson MA, Elta GH, Anderson MA, Govani SM, Prabhu A. “Preoperative Predictors of Choledocholithiasis in Patients Presenting with Acute Calculous Cholecystitis.” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 2019. May;89(5):977-83. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2018.11.017.
Tavakkoli A, Law RJ, Bedi AO, Prabhu A, Hiatt T, Anderson MA, Wamsteker EJ, Elmunzer BJ, Piraka CR, Scheiman JM, Elta GH, Kwon RS et al. “Specialist Endoscopists are Associated with a Decreased Risk of Incomplete Resection During Endoscopic Mucosal Resection in the Colon.” Dig Dis Sciences 2017 doi: 10.1007/s10620-017-4643-6.
Prabhu A, Obi KO, Rubenstein JH “The Synergistic Effects of Alcohol and Tobacco Consumption on the Risk of Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma: A Meta-Analysis.” Am Journal Gastroenterol. June 2014 109(6):822-7.
Prabhu A, Obi KO, Rubenstein JH “Systematic Review with Meta-analysis: Race-specific Effects of Alcohol and Tobacco on the Risk of Oesophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma.” Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics Nov 2013 38(10):1145-55.