Roswell Park’s Rehabilitation Services encompass both inpatient and outpatient services to provide physical and occupational therapy specifically designed for cancer patients and survivors — before, during and after cancer treatment. Our Rehabilitation team will work to maximize your physical abilities and comfort levels, to ensure the quickest, most effective recovery for you.
Services can be accessed Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The Rehabilitation offices are located on the first floor of the hospital and can be contacted by calling 716-845-3271.
Our team can help:
- Decrease pain and increase mobility
- Improve quality of life
- Start you on the road to a healthier lifestyle
More than 80% of cancer patients have side effects that can be improved with rehabilitation.
Why it’s important
Surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, transplant and other cancer treatments are harsh on the body. While many side effects do subside once treatment ends, others linger.
You don’t have to wait to complete your cancer treatment before seeking relief. Many symptoms can be addressed and improved while you’re in active treatment. In addition, some secondary effects—such as lymphedema—may not surface until years later.
Rehabilitation therapy can help:
- Rebuild your muscle strength to correct weaknesses, improve balance
- Improve your range of motion and tolerance for exercise
- Combat effects of radiation therapy
- Relieve chronic pain and neuropathy
- Reduce lymphedema
- Address incontinence and sexual side effects
- Reduce fatigue and depression
How we can help
After an initial evaluation, our team will create a personalized plan of care to address your needs. This plan may encompass exercises for you to perform at home, activity modifications, and a schedule of continued therapy appointments in our clinic. We provide:
- Pre-treatment screening to assess ability to undergo surgery or transplant safely
- Pre-habilitation therapy to prepare your body for upcoming surgery or transplant and speed recovery
- Inpatient therapy to address mobility and activities of daily living, and ensure a safe discharge
- Outpatient physical and occupational therapy to improve strength, balance and mobility; relieve symptoms such as pain and neuropathy
- Lymphedema treatment that includes manual lymph drainage, compression garments, skin care, and exercises
- Pelvic floor rehabilitation to address incontinence and sexual side effects
Important Pathway to an Active lifestyle
Physical and occupational therapy can help start you on the road to a more active way of life, resuming prior activities or finding new ones. Staying physically active after a cancer diagnosis has beneficial effects for several aspects of survivorship, including weight management, quality of life, cancer recurrence or progression, and prognosis.
Ask your Roswell Park physician for a referral, and let us begin helping you.
Make an appointment for your consultation today call 716-845-3271.