Staying Cool This Summer Just Got Easier
It’s been an exceptionally hot summer. So it helps to have an easy, go-to treat to stay cool. Watermelon never disappoints. But with a little imagination – and minimal effort – you can take your melon to the next level.
Start with a ripe watermelon. Here are a few tricks to help you pick the best one:
- Look for watermelon that is symmetrical and feels heavy for its size.
- Ripe watermelon will have a healthy sheen and a buttery, yellow underside.
- Tap the underside. A ripe watermelon will have a deep, hollow sound. Under-ripe melons will sound dull.
Watermelon Ice Cubes
These frozen fruit ice cubes are slightly sweet and refreshing, and a no-brainer way to upgrade any beverage. Or, insert a Popsicle stick and you have instant ice pops.
- A seedless watermelon
- Baking sheet
- Cut your seedless watermelon into cubes and lay them flat on a baking sheet.
- Add a drizzle of honey or a sprinkle of mint or basil for extra flavor.
- Put the baking sheet in the freezer for about three hours, or until frozen.
- Add to your favorite drink and plop the rest into a plastic bag for storage.
Smooth, watermelon sorbet is a healthy and delicious alternative to the coveted summertime ice cream cone.
- Watermelon ice cubes
- Working in batches, add cubes to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Divide the puree among two loaf pans (or put it all in one deep baking dish), packing it down as you go.
- Transfer the pans to the freezer. Freeze for 1-2 hours or until the sorbet is scoopable.