Cancer that has spread to a distant organ is called metastatic disease. With breast cancer, the most common sites for metastases are the lungs, liver and bone. We treat metastatic disease with a multidisciplinary team approach, calling on the best experts in breast cancer care. New advances in treating metastatic disease are made everyday, and may offer many years of high-quality life. We offer several options for treating metastatic breast cancer and improving quality of life including:
- Clinical trials of the latest drugs and approaches such as immunotherapy.
- Gamma Knife radiosurgery to treat metastases to the brain
- Bone-strengthening treatments using agents such as zoledronic acid (Zometa)
- Endocrine or anti-estrogen therapy
- Radiation therapy to distant sites
- Supportive & palliative care to address ongoing symptoms and quality of life
- Rehabilitation medicine, including physical and occupational therapy
When Cancer Spreads to Your Liver
When cancer spreads from its original location to the liver, these new tumors, called liver metastases, need special treatment. Roswell Park offers innovative and advanced therapies unavailable elsewhere in the region that can improve survival and potentially cure the disease.
If you’ve been told your liver metastases cannot be removed surgically or are inoperable or unresectable, please contact us and ask for a second opinion from the liver metastases team.