Supportive & Palliative Care Program
Coping with advanced illness is stressful – not only for the patient but also for those who love and care for them.
Palliative Care is a medical specialty devoted to caring for individuals with progressive illness. The goal is to maintain an optimal quality of life for patients and caregivers.
The Supportive & Palliative Care Team at Roswell Park works with your attending physician and can join your care process at any time. It is a common misperception that palliative care is offered only for patients who are ending curative treatment.
The Supportive & Palliative Care Team includes:
- Amy Alvarez-Perez, MD
- Martha Bentley-McLachlan, RN, BSN, OCN – Pain & Palliative Care RN, Ambulatory Care
- Betsy Bodie, NP – Palliative Care Medicine
- Frank Brown, RN, MS, OCN – Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Linda Cimino, RN, OCN – Pain & Palliative Care RN, Ambulatory Care
- Pastoral Care
- Social Work
Is Palliative Care Right for You?
Do you or someone close to you have an advanced disease?
Do you or your loved one have one or more of these symptoms?
- Shortness of breath
- Lack of appetite
Have you or your loved one experienced?
- A change in the focus of your treament or care
- Frequent unscheduled clinic visits, emergency room visits or hospital admissions
Do you or your loved one need help with one or more of the following?
- Planning for your continuing care needs
- Health care decision-making
- Emotional or psychosocial support
- Spiritual support
- Legal assistance
- Financial concerns
If you or your loved one has identified one or more of these concerns, you may wish to discuss a Supportive & Palliative Care referral with your physician. You can contact the Supportive & Palliative Care Team at 716-845-8214 for more information.
If you are a Supportive & Palliative Care patient who needs assistance on the weekend or after 5 p.m. on weekdays, please contact the Roswell Park Cancer Institute operator at 716-845-2300 and ask for the Supportive & Palliative Care physician on call.