Specializing In:Head and neck surgery Head and neck cancer (mouth/tongue/oral cavity, pharynx/throat, larynx/voice box, salivary gland, sinus, thyroid, skull base, skin) Transoral Laser Microsurgery (TLM) Transoral Robotic Surgery (TORS) Local and microvascular reconstruction of the head and neck (free flap surgery)
Special Interests:Surgical outcomes after transoral laser and robotic surgery Surgical management of laryngeal cancer Outcomes and management of thyroid cancer
About Ayham Al Afif
Head and Neck Oncology is a complex and rapidly evolving discipline, which captured my interest during medical school and throughout residency. I received comprehensive fellowship training in all facets of head and neck oncologic and reconstructive surgery at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. I treat all forms of head and neck cancer, with a special interest in transoral surgery, and head and neck reconstruction. I feel very privileged to care for the people of Buffalo and New York.
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Assistant Professor of Surgery and Oncology
- Co-director, Head and Neck Oncology and Reconstruction Fellowship
- Department of Head and Neck, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Education and Training:
- 2015 - MD - Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
- 2011 - MSc - Microbiology and Immunology (Viral Immunology), Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
- 2020 - Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
- 2021 - Head and Neck Oncology and Reconstructive Surgery - University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL
- 2020 - Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada
- American Head and Neck Society
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Canadian Society for Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Canadian Medical Association
Honors & Awards:
- Resident Teacher of the Year, Dalhousie University
- Charles Ferguson Award in Clinical Research
- James Hammerling Prize in Otolaryngology
- Frederick Banting and Charles Best Master's Award - Canadian Institute for Health Research (CIHR)
- Canadian Allergy and Immune Diseases Advanced Training Award
Patient and Tumor Factors Contributing to Distant Metastasis in Well-Differentiated Thyroid Cancer: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Khan U; Al Afif A; Aldaihani A, MacKay C; Matthew H Rigby MH; Rajaraman M; Imran SA; Bullock MJ; Taylor SM; Trites JRB; Hart RD. J of Otolaryngol - Head & Neck Surg. 2020:49(1):78
Transoral microscopic cautery-assisted laser tonsillectomy/tongue base resection (TOMCAT). Ubayasiri K, Al Afif A, Herruer J, Taylor SM. Clin Otolaryngol. 2019;45(2):304-306
The role of repeat fine needle aspiration in improving diagnostic accuracy in thyroid masses. Allen L, Al Afif A, Rigby MH, Bullock MJ, Trites J, Taylor SM, Hart RD. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2019; 48:16.
Improving aesthetic outcomes after head and neck reconstruction. Al Afif A, Uys HK, Taylor SM. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018 Aug;26(4):227-233.
Multifocal papillary thyroid cancer increases the risk of central lymph node metastasis. Al Afif A, Williams BA, Rigby MH, Bullock MJ, Taylor SM, Trites J, Hart RD. Thyroid. 2015 Sep;25(9):1008-12.