Dr. Attwood earned his PhD and MA in Biostatistics from the SUNY University at Buffalo (UB). He also earned a BS degree in Applied Mathematics from the University at Rhode Island, as well as a MS degree in Industrial & Systems Engineering from UB.
Dr. Attwood joined the Department of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics at Roswell Park Cancer Institute (RPCI) as a Senior Biostatistician in 2011. He was later presented with an Assistant Professor of Biostatistics in 2012 at RPCI. In this capacity he has designed, reviewed and analyzed clinical, pre-clinical and translational studies for a variety of disease settings and outcomes. He regularly works with the Department of Urology and is a current member of the Internal Review Board, Data Safety & Monitoring Board, and Genitourinary Program. In addition, Dr. Attwood has been teaching undergraduate and graduate level applied statistics courses at Daemen College since 2008.
Dr. Attwood's collaborative research is supported by several NIH and DOD grants examining treatment options, biomarker indentification/development, and racial disparities in the prostate cancer setting.
He is also developing statistical methodologies for identifying biomarker based decision rules for patient classification (binary and multi-level), treatment, and outcomes (fixed and time dependent).
- Attwood, K., Tian, L. & Xiong, C. Diagnositc threshold with three ordinal groups. Journal of Biopharmaceutical Statistics 2014; 24(3):608-633. PMID: 24707966
- Montgomery, E., Gao, C., de Luca, J., Bower, J., Attwood, K. & Ylagan, L. Validation of 31 of the most commonly used immunohistochemical antibodies in cytology prepared using the Cellient automated cell block system. Diagnostic Cytopathology 2014; 42(12):1024-1033. PMID: 24678031
- Koulikov, D., Mohler, M.C., Mehedint, D.C., Attwood, K., Wilding, G.E. & Mohler, J.L. Low detectable prostate specific antigen after radical prostatectomy--treat or watch? The Journal of Urology 2014; 192(5):1390-1396. PMID: 24678031
- Poch, M.A., Mehedint, D., Green, D.J., Payne-Ondracek, R., Fontham, E.T.H., Bensen, J.T., Attwood, K., Wilding, G.E., Guru, K.A., Underwood, W., Mohler, J.L. & Heemers, H.V. The association between calcium channel blocker use and prostate cancer outcome. Prostate 2013; 73(8):865-872. PMID: 23280547
- Schmidt, L.J., Duncan, K., Yadav, N., Regan, K.M., Verone, A.R., Lohse, C.M., Pop, E.A., Attwood, K., Wilding, G., Mohler, J.L., Sebo, J., Tindall, D.J. & Heemers, H.V. RhoA as a mediator of clinically relevant androgen action in prostate cancer cells. Molecular Endocrinology 2012; 26(5):716-735. PMCID: PMC3355556
- Bailey, D.W., Nelms, B.E., Attwood, K., Kumaraswamy, L. & Podgorsak, M.B. Statistical variability and confidence iIntervals for planar dose QA pass rates. Medical Physics 2011; 38(11):6053-6064. PMID: 22047370