Physician-scientists are in demand, start your rewarding dual career at Roswell Park
Life in the lab or life in the clinic? We’ve got both.
If you’re a first-year medical, dental, or physician assistant (PA) student, a cancer research internship at Roswell Park is a great step towards a physician-scientist career.
June 6 - July 29, 2022
Nov 1, 2021 – January 31, 2022
NOTE: Program dates are subject to change or cancellation due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Explore a dual career with a summer research experience combining science and medicine to build your profession and contribute to advancing cancer healthcare
We’re an internationally-renowned research institution, and one of the few Comprehensive Cancer Centers in the country. Our multidisciplinary focus means a unique immersion in cancer science you won’t find anywhere else. Your bench research translates into meaningful enhancements and improvements in quality of care at the bedside.
Independent Research Projects
Mentorship and collaboration
The latest technology
In addition to lab or clinical work, you’ll take part in lectures and professional development activities (including mock tumor board), and share your discoveries with your peers during cross-training sessions. At the end of the summer, you’ll present your work at a program conference.
Choose your specialty
A summer research experience is a great chance to delve into a specific cancer science interest – or try something new. When you apply, you’ll rank your choices among our key research areas:
- Pediatric oncology
- Medical oncology
- Neuro oncology
- Radiation medicine
- Surgical oncology
- Cancer biophysics
- Tumor immunology
- Cancer prevention/epidemiology
- Cancer cellular/molecular biology
- Cancer genetics and genomics
- Experimental Therapeutics
Ready to get started?
Check out the specs below for all the fine-print details, and then read through the FAQs. If it sounds like a good fit, get your application in by January 31, 2021. We’ll let you know by mid-March if you’ve been accepted.
You must meet all the following eligibility criteria:
- Be enrolled in your first year of medical, PA or nursing BSN program at the time of application
- Be in good standing with your academic program
- A U.S. citizen or a U.S. permanent resident
- All participants in Roswell Park's experiential research programs will be required to show proof that they are fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine authorized by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the World Health Organization (WHO)
- Application fee: $35 (non-refundable)
- Program fee: $65 (non-refundable)
You must cover the cost of your own incidentals, food, housing and round-trip travel expenses to Buffalo, New York.
Funding is available from our NCI R25 grant to provide a $4800 subsistence allowances to applicants accepted into the summer program. Funds are awarded based on the qualifications of applicants and criteria required by our outside funding sources.
Out-of-town students have the option to find their own lodging (a list will be provided at the time of acceptance).
If you need further information, connect with us: