We know tumors best
Brain tumors are relatively rare, accounting for fewer than 5% of all cancers. Most neurologists and neurosurgeons treat a wide range of neurological diseases and disorders but see very few of the more than 120 types of brain tumors. At Roswell Park, our neuro-oncology team focuses on brain tumors every single day.
- Cases are reviewed by a team of specialists from different fields, including neurosurgery, neuro-oncology neuroradiology, neuropathology and radiation medicine. In some cases, patients have come to Roswell Park after being told their tumors were untreatable, but our physicians — bringing together their unique sets of knowledge, experience and specialty training — found ways to make surgery or other personalized treatment plans not only possible but successful.
- Our group of brain cancer experts are especially skilled in the complex diagnosis and treatment of all primary brain tumors and metastatic tumors that arise in the brain and spine by way of spread from original cancers of the breast, lung, prostate, kidney and other organs.
- We offer the same expert care for patients with benign (non-cancerous) brain tumors including, meningioma, pituitary adenoma, acoustic neuroma, craniopharyngioma, chordoma and many others as well.
- Great expertise is also vital when it comes to the pathologist who diagnoses a brain tumor. Our team includes a dedicated neuropathologist with specific training in the diagnosis of nervous system tumors. This level of skill is critical for developing the right treatment plan since modern neuropathology is increasingly reliant on constantly evolving molecular diagnostics for these tumor types.
- Our team also treats non-cancerous conditions such as arteriovenous malformation, trigeminal neuralgia, benign spine tumors, entrapment neuropathies and more. Learn how we can treat your non-cancer condition at Roswell Park: Call 1-800-ROSWELL (1-800-767-9355).
Our internationally renowned neurosurgeons
Our neurosurgical expertise is unrivaled in the region. Our experience comes from performing more than 900 procedures a year, and we incorporate the latest technological advances to perform the delicate, complex operations necessary for maximum safe tumor removal.
- We were the first center in the region to offer expanded endoscopic endonasal skull base surgery, a procedure in which certain skull base and pituitary tumors can be removed through the nose, without a craniotomy.
- We perform awake craniotomy procedures in some situations to preserve motor and language function during surgery.
- We were the first center in Western New York to offer Laser Interstitial Thermal Therapy (LITT), a minimally invasive neurosurgery that uses heat to destroy cancerous or other abnormal tissue in the brain.
- We acquired the first Olympus ORBEYE® in the region. This unique video microscope system gives a magnified, 3D-view of the operating field — four times sharper than high definition. The only system of its kind in the world, it increases patient safety during surgery and improves the completeness of brain tumor removal.
Our cutting-edge treatments
We offer treatments at the forefront of cancer care, plus clinicians with the knowledge and experience to use them.
- Roswell Park is a world leader in Gamma Knife stereotactic radiosurgery, and the only center in the region to offer this non-invasive radiosurgery option. This highly focused radiation therapy can be used to treat many brain tumor types, including deep-seated tumors that are not accessible safely with conventional neurosurgery — without incisions.
- Our team employs advanced genomic testing of your tumor to customize chemotherapy and immunotherapy to a tumor’s specific genetic profile allowing us in some cases to choose drugs most likely to benefit you.
- We developed SurVaxM, a therapeutic vaccine (immunotherapy) for glioblastoma, the most common and most aggressive of all brain cancers. SurVaxM has shown positive results in early-phase clinical trials and large, multicenter studies are beginning.
A physician who helps set the national standards
Andrew Fabiano, MD, FAANS, Department of Neurosurgery and Oncology, is among the experts who serve on the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) panel that writes the national guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of central nervous system cancers, including brain cancers. Dr. Fabiano has been named a North American Spine Society (NASS) 20 Under 40 Spine Surgeon based on his professional accomplishments, community service and philosophy of care, and has been named by the American Board of Neurological Surgery (ABNS) as a guest examiner.
All the services you’ll need — In one location
We offer a broad range of support services to care for you, not just your cancer, including nutrition services, tobacco cessation, acupuncture, spiritual care, counseling, music, art and pet therapy, and more.
- Rehabilitation medicine encompasses physical, occupational and speech therapy to improve your mobility and function.
- The Young Adult Cancer program offers unique services and social connections to patients in their 20s and 30s
- Our Neurofibromatosis Clinic streamlines treatment, surveillance and supportive services for adults with any form of neurofibromatosis and associated tumors.
Get a second opinion
If you have been diagnosed with a brain tumor, you need a second opinion. We can arrange for Roswell Park’s brain tumor experts to review your imaging right away and set up a consultation with our neuro-oncology team within a week — even via telemedicine if you live far away.
Why it matters — The single most important factor in determining your prognosis is the success of your very first treatment — typically surgery. You have only one chance at a first treatment. We understand the urgency of your diagnosis but it’s unlikely that immediate surgery is necessary. Your brain is worth a second opinion, and we will ensure you get it without delay.
If you received your diagnosis in an emergency room or are currently admitted in another hospital, please call 1-800-ROSWELL (1-800-767-9355) before beginning any treatment. Our experts will confer with your personal physician and can arrange for your transfer to Roswell Park, if necessary.