More options, better outcomes
Surgery is the main treatment for many brain tumors. As a National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center, Roswell Park offers the latest procedures, using the most advanced tools. Brain surgery, which now involves minimally invasive techniques, has become safer and more complete with the use of cutting-edge visualization techniques, advanced intraoperative neuromonitoring, and stereotactic navigation in the brain.
Chemotherapy and radiation therapy are also safer and more effective than ever. Comprehensive care means that your neurosurgery, oncology, and radiation medicine teams work together to coordinate care and provide you the information you need to make the best decisions for you.
The treatment of brain tumors is based on several things, including:
- The type of brain cell from which the tumor grew — for example, an astrocyte or oligodendrocyte
- The area of the brain where the tumor formed, including assessment of the critical functions performed by that area of the brain
- The patient’s age and medical conditions
- The grade of the tumor
- The pattern of tumor spread
- The ability for the tumor to be completely resected or not
- The availability of effective chemotherapy, immunotherapy, and/or radiation treatments
- The specific molecular and genetic markers of each tumor
Offering comprehensive care and surveillance, supportive services and access to the latest neurofibromatosis treatments — in one location.Learn More