Andrew J. Fabiano, MD, FAANS is an Associate Professor of Oncology at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center (RPCI) and a Clinical Associate Professor of Neurosurgery at SUNY at Buffalo. His practice is based at RPCI and focuses on the treatment of tumors of the brain and spine. He is Board Certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery.
Dr. Fabiano is the Director of the Spinal Oncology Center at RPCI and has special expertise in spinal tumor removal and complex spinal reconstruction. He utilizes intraoperative neuroimaging and spinal neuronavigation to enhance patient safety and surgical outcomes. He has lectured extensively on the management of spinal metastatic disease and was selected for the North American Spine Society’s Robotics & Navigation Committee.
A major component of Dr. Fabiano’s practice is the treatment of benign and malignant brain tumors. He has a special interest in minimally invasive techniques for the treatment of brain tumors including Gamma Knife Radiosurgery, Intracranial Endoscopy, Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery, and Laser Interstitial Thermal Therapy. He has served as invited faculty for the Congress of Neurological Surgeons on the management of brain metastases in eloquent cortex.
Dr. Fabiano’s areas of research interest include novel therapies for cerebral edema and radiation necrosis and innovations in spinal surgery. He has published over 90 journal articles and abstracts and is on the Editorial Board for BMC Cancer. Additionally, Dr. Fabiano is a member of RPCI’s Surgical Services Executive Committee and Medical Staff Executive Committee. He is the RPCI site director for the SUNY at Buffalo Neurosurgery Residency Program and a course supervisor for the SUNY at Buffalo School of Medicine.
Dr. Fabiano is a native of Buffalo, NY. He graduated from the University of Illinois at Chicago in five semesters with Highest Departmental Distinction and from SUNY at Buffalo School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences with Thesis Honors. He completed a neurosurgical training program with the SUNY at Buffalo Department of Neurosurgery. During his training he was awarded an Alpha Omega Alpha Research Fellowship and a Thomas F. Frawley Research Award. He is a member of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, Congress of Neurological Surgeons, Society of Neuro-Oncology, and the North American Spine Society.
- Fabiano AJ and Qiu J. Post-stereotactic radiosurgery brain metastases: a review. Journal of the Neurological Sciences 59(2):157-67, 2015.
- Fabiano AJ and Qiu J. Delayed failure of laser-interstitial thermotherapy for postradiosurgery brain metastases. World Neurosurgery 82(3):e559-e563, 2014.
- Lipinski LJ and Fabiano AJ. En plaque spinal leptomeningeal carcinomatosis from metastatic melanoma. The Spine Journal 14(8):1808-9, 2014.
- Aliotta RE, Roger EP, Lipinski LJ and Fabiano AJ. Assessment of long-term kyphosis following transthoracic corpectomy with single adjacent level posterior instrumentation. Journal of the Craniovertebral Junction and Spine 5(1):55, 2014.
- Fabiano AJ. [Comment] Magnetic resonance-guided laser ablation improves local control for postradiosurgery recurrence and/or radiation necrosis. Neurosurgery 74(6):667, 2014. Fabiano AJ and Alberico RA. Laser-interstitial thermal therapy for refractory cerebral edema from post-radiosurgery metastasis. World Neurosurgery 81(3):652-4, 2013.
- Lipinksi LJ, Hoppenot RG, Fenstermaker RA and Fabiano AJ. Method for securing titanium cerebellar retractors. Surgical Neurology International 4:145-6, 2013.
- Fabiano AJ, Gruber TJ and Baxter MS. Increased ventriculostomy infection rate with use of tissue plasminogen activator: a single center observation. Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, 115(11):2362-2364, 2013.
- Munich SA, Fabiano AJ, Fenstermaker RA and Rigual N. Cranial base repair with combined vascularized muchoperichondrial flap and autologous tissue graft following expanded endonasal endoscopic neurosurgery. Journal of Neurological Surgery Part A: Central European Neurosurgery 74(2):101-108, 2013.
- Dawar R, Khushalani NI, Fabiano AJ, and Qiu J. Secondary gliosarcoma with extra-cranial metastases: a report and review of the literature. Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology 71(6):567-8, 2012.
- Fabiano AJ, Doyle C and Plunkett RJ. Intrathecal medications for post-herpetic neuralgia. Pain Medicine 13(8):1088-90, 2012.
- Fabiano AJ, Hoppenot R and Plunett RJ. Heroin inhalation induced cerebellar leukoencephalopathy. Chirurgia 25:133-4, 2012.
- Fabiano AJ, Qiu J and Rigual N. Thyroid hürthle cell carcinoma metastatic to the pituitary gland. Thyroid 22(4):442, 2012.
- Fabiano AJ, Rigual N, Munich S and Fenstermaker R. Esthesioneuroblastoma resection via the expanded endonasal endoscopic approach. Neuro-Oncology 13:iii156-7, 2011.
- Fabiano AJ and Siddiqui AH. Spinal cord syrinx expansion following acquired chiari malformation decompression: case report. Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery 112(9):832-4, 2010.
- Fabiano AJ, Doyle K and Grand W. Delayed stoma failure in adult communicating hydrocephalus following initial successful treatment by endoscopic third ventriculostomy. Neurosurgery 66(6):E1210-11, 2010.
- Fabiano AJ, Plunkett RJ and Gibbons KJ. Diagnosis of a facial schwannoma by mr imaging enhancement of the geniculate ganglion. Archives of Neurology 67(1):112-113, 2010.
- Fabiano AJ and Plunkett RJ. Approach for tunneling the lead in deep brain stimulation: technical note. Journal of Neurosurgery 112(6):1277-8, 2010.
- Fabiano AJ, Leonardo J and Grand W. The posterior cerebral artery p1 segment at the stoma during endoscopic third ventriculostomy in adults. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry 81(4):374-8, 2010.
- Fabiano AJ, Khan MF, Rozzelle CJ and Li V. Preoperative predictors for improvement after surgical untethering in occult tight filum terminale syndrome. Pediatric Neurosurgery 45:256-61, 2009.
- Fabiano AJ, Doyle CA and Plunkett RJ. Distal baclofen pump catheter migration associated with far-lateral paraspinal surgical placement. Neuromodulation: Technology at the Interface 12(2):130-4, 2009.