Dr. Fabiano is a Buffalo Spree Top Doctor! See all of our physicians who made this year's list.
Specializing In:Brain Tumors Spinal Tumors Gamma Knife Radiosurgery Complex Spinal Surgery Radiation Necrosis Meningiomas Computer-Assisted Surgery
Research Interests:Spinal Metastatic Disease Cerebral Edema Management of Brain Tumors in Eloquent Cortex Spinal Neuronavigation
About Andrew J. Fabiano
Andrew J. Fabiano, MD, MBA, FAANS is a Professor of Oncology at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center (Roswell Park) and a Clinical Professor of Neurosurgery at SUNY at Buffalo. His practice is based at Roswell Park and focuses on the treatment of tumors of the brain and spine. He is Board Certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery and was selected to the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) Central Nervous System Guidelines Panel.
Dr. Fabiano is the Director of the Spinal Oncology Center at Roswell Park and has special expertise in spinal tumor removal and complex spinal reconstruction. He utilizes intraoperative neuroimaging and spinal neuronavigation to enhance patient safety and surgical outcomes. He has lectured extensively on the surgical management of spinal tumors and was selected for the North American Spine Society’s Robotics & Navigation Committee.
A major component of Dr. Fabiano’s practice is the treatment of benign and malignant brain tumors. He has a special interest in minimally invasive techniques for the treatment of brain tumors including Gamma Knife Radiosurgery, Intracranial Endoscopy, Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery, and Laser Interstitial Thermal Therapy. He has served as expert faculty for the Congress of Neurological Surgeons and the American Association of Neurological Surgeons on the management of brain tumors.
Dr. Fabiano’s areas of research interest include novel therapies for cerebral edema and radiation necrosis and innovations in spinal surgery. He has published over 100 journal articles and abstracts and leads multiple clinical research studies. Dr. Fabiano has been selected to numerous leadership positions at Roswell park including the Surgical Services Executive Committee (Chair), Medical Staff Executive Committee, and Peer Review Leadership Committee (Chair). He is the Roswell Park site director for the SUNY at Buffalo Neurosurgery Residency Program.
Dr. Fabiano is a native of Buffalo, NY. He graduated from the University of Illinois at Chicago in five semesters with Highest Departmental Distinction and from SUNY at Buffalo School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences with Thesis Honors. He completed a neurosurgical training program with the SUNY at Buffalo Department of Neurosurgery. During his training, he was awarded an Alpha Omega Alpha Research Fellowship and a Thomas F. Frawley Research Award. Dr. Fabiano completed an MBA in Healthcare Leadership at Creighton University Heider College of Business.
In his own words, Dr. Fabiano says, "I feel fortunate to be able to use my abilities to help other people. The treatments I recommend and provide to my patients are the treatments I would want for my family members. I'm proud to be from Buffalo and to contribute to my home community."
- Professor of Neurosurgery and Oncology
- Director, Spinal Oncology Center
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University at Buffalo
- Clinical Professor of Neurosurgery
Education and Training:
- BS – University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL
- MD – SUNY at Buffalo School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Buffalo, NY
- MBA - Creighton University Heider College of Business, Omaha, NE
- SUNY at Buffalo Department of Neurosurgery, Buffalo, NY
- Neurological Surgery, American Board of Neurological Surgery
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Society of Neuro-Oncology
- North American Spine Society
- AANS/CNS Section on Tumors
- AANS/CNS Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves
- AOSpine Society
- Guest Examiner - American Board of Neurological Surgery (ABNS)
Honors & Awards:
- 2019, 2021, 2023 - American Board of Neurological Surgery Guest Examiner
- 2019-2023 - Buffalo Spree Top Doctor
- 2020 - Top Neurological Surgeon
- 2019 - North American Spine Society (NASS) 20 Under 40 Spine Surgeon
- 2016 - Buffalo Business First 40 Under 40
- 2017, 2018 - America's Top Surgeons
Featured on Cancer Talk
Showing all3 of 4 CollapseView all
1. Drakhshandeh D, Miller JA and Fabiano AJ. Instrumented spinal stabilization without fusion for spinal metastatic disease. World Neurosurgery 111:e403-409, 2018.
2. Miller JA and Fabiano AJ. Comparison of operative time with conventional fluoroscopy versus spinal neuronavigation in instrumented spinal tumor surgery. World Neurosurgery 105:412-9, 2017.
3. Fanous AA and Fabiano AJ. Surgical management of spinal metastatic disease. Journal of the Neurosurgical Sciences 61(3):316-24, 2017.
4. Fabiano AJ and Qiu J. Post-stereotactic radiosurgery brain metastases: a review. Journal of the Neurosurgical Sciences 59(2):157-67, 2015.
5. Fabiano AJ and Alberico RA. Laser-interstitial thermal therapy for refractory cerebral edema from post-radiosurgery metastasis. World Neurosurgery 81(3):652-4, 2013.