At Roswell Park, you will have more than just one cancer expert, you’ll have a team of them. This team includes physicians from different medical specialties — head & neck surgeons, plastic & reconstructive surgeons, medical and radiation oncologists, pathologists, diagnostic radiologists and others — that bring their unique expertise together to determine the very best path forward for you.
Your treatment for your head or neck cancer will likely include more than one type of treatment approach, and you may have one of more of the following:
- Head & neck surgery to remove the tumor and any other affected tissues.
- Plastic & Reconstructive surgery to repair skin and structures and restore function.
- Medical therapy which uses drugs to fight cancer cells in the body. Medical therapies include chemotherapy, targeted therapy, and immunotherapy drugs that circulate through your system.
- Radiation therapy to kill cancer cells with high energy radiation.
- Photodynamic therapy which combine light-sensitizing drugs and laser light, creating a reaction that kills cancer cells.
- Clinical trials to access the very latest options.
- Dental care and maxillofacial prosthetics to address dental and oral health needs before, during and after cancer treatment, and provide artificial replacements for areas damaged by the cancer or removed during surgery.