Anurag Singh, MD
Anurag Singh, MD
Professor of Oncology
Director of Radiation Research
Director of Radiation Oncology Residency Program
Department of Radiation Medicine
Roswell Park Cancer Institute
Professor of Medicine
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York at Buffalo
Areas of Expertise:
Head and neck cancer
SBRT (Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy)
Novel agents to improve radiation therapy
Novel agents to protect against side effects of radiation therapy
Development and implementation of imaging to improve radiation targeting
Methods to improve quality of life following radiation therapy
Impact of nutrition on patient outcomes
Education and Training:
MD - Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO
BS - Yale University
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, St. Louis, MO
Radiation Oncology, American Board of Radiology
Honors and Awards:
02/2011 Outstanding Accreditation Award from University at Buffalo, No citations and Commendable Practice ACGME Residency Program Review
06/2010 Educator of the Year (2009-2010), Association of Residents In Radiation Oncology (ARRO)
01/2006 CaPSure Mentor (for Nicole SImone)
05/1995 Magna Cum Laude Graduate, Yale University
01/1995 MENSA Research and Education Scholarship
01/1994 MENSA Research and Education Scholarship
01/1994 Xerox Technical Merit Scholarship
09/2012 - Present: Professor of Medicine, Director of Radiation Medicine Residency Program, University at Buffalo
07/2012 - Present: Professor of Oncology, Director of Radiation Research, Roswell Park Cancer Institute
07/2007 – 07/2012: Associate Professor, Director of Radiation Medicine Residency Program, Director of Radiation Research, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, University at Buffalo
07/2004 - 06/2007: Attending Physician, Head of Molecular Imaging Section, Radiation Oncology Branch, National Cancer Institute
- Bourgeois, DJ, Singh AK. Single-fraction SBRT for Sinonasal Malignant Melanoma. Accepted Head and Neck. May 2014.
- Hanzly M, Creighton T, Mix M, Fung-Kee-Fung S, Singh AK, Schwaab T. Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT) for the Treatment of Renal Tumors. Accepted Urology Case Reports. May 2014.
- Jayaprakash V, Merzianu M, Warren G, Arshad H, Hicks WL, Rigual N, Sullivan M, Seshadri M, Marshall J, Cohan D, Zhao Y, Singh AK. Survival Rates and Prognostic Factors for Infiltrating Salivary Duct Carcinoma: An Analysis of 228 Cases from SEER Database. Head and Neck. Epub 2013. doi: 10.1002/hed.23350.
- Arshad H, Jayaprakash V, Gupta V, Cohan DM, Ambujakshan D, Rigual NR, Singh AK, Hicks WL. Survival Differences between Organ Preservation Surgery and Definitive Radiotherapy in Early Supraglottic Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 150(2):237-44. 2014. doi: 10.1177/0194599813512783.
- Warren GW, Zevon MA, Hyland AJ, Reed R, Demmy T, Dexter E, Long MA, Kelly M, Mahoney MC, O’Connor RJ, Hysert P, Chmura M, Houston T, Nwogu C, Reid ME, Jenkins D, Smith J, Germain P, Singh AK, Epstein J, Trump D, Johnson C, Marshall JR, Cummings KM. Automated Tobacco Assessment, Cessation Referral, and Cessation Support for Patients in a Comprehensive Cancer Center. Cancer. 120(4):562-9. 2014. doi: 10.1002/cncr.28440
- Warren GW, Marshall JR, Cummings KM, Singh AK, Reid ME. How can patients who are not referred for treatment receive the best treatment possible? Cancer. 120(11):1750-1. 2014.
- Xu H, Lasso A, Guion P, Krieger A, Kaushal A, Singh AK, Pinto PA, Coleman J, Grubb RL, Lattouf J-B, Menard C, Whitcomb LL, Fichtinger G. Accuracy Analysis in MRI-guided Robotic Prostate Biopsy. Int Jn of Comput Asst Radiol Surg. 8(6):937-44. 2013. doi: 10.1007/s11548-013-0831-9.
- Folaron M, Kalmuk J, Lockwood J, Frangou C, Vokes J, Turowski SG, Merzianu M, Rigual NR, Sullivan-Nasca M, Kuriakose MA, Hicks WL, Singh AK, Seshadri M. Vascular priming enhances chemotherapeutic efficacy against head and neck cancer. Oral Oncol. 49(9):893-902. 2013. doi: 10.1016/j.oraloncology.2013.06.011.
- Platek ME, Myrick E, McCloskey SA, Gupta V, Reid ME, Wilding GE, Cohan D, Arshad H, Rigual NR, Sullivan M, Hicks WL, Warren GW, Singh AK. Pretreatment weight status and weight loss among head and neck cancer patients receiving definitive concurrent chemoradiation therapy: implications for nutrition integrated treatment pathways. Support Care Cancer. 21(10):2825-33. 2013. doi: 10.1007/s00520-013-1861-0.
- Platek ME, McCloskey SA, Cruz M, Burke MS, Reid ME, Wilding GE, Rigual NR, Popat SR, Loree TR, Gupta V, Warren GW, Sullivan M, Hicks WL, Singh AK. Quantification of the Effect of Treatment Duration on Local Regional Failure after Definitive Concurrent Chemotherapy and Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy for Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck. Head and Neck February. 35(5):684-8. 2013. Doi: 10.1002/hed.23024. Epub 2012 May 22.
- Warren GW, Singh AK. Nicotine and Lung Cancer. J Carcinog 12:1. doi: 10.4103/1477-3163.106680. 2013.
- Fung-Kee-Fung SD, Warren GW, Singh AK. Hope for Progress After 40 Years of Futility? Novel Approaches In the Treatment of Advanced Stage III and IV Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT), Mediastinal Lymphadenectomy, and Novel Systemic Therapy. J Carcinog 11:20. doi: 10.4103/1477-3163.105340. 2012.
- Wong RK, James JL, Sagar S, Wyatt G, Nguyen-Tan PF, Singh AK, Lukaszczyk B, Cardinale F, Yeh AM, Ang KK. Phase II Results of RTOG 0537: A Phase II/III Study Comparing Acupuncture-like Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation Versus Pilocarpine in Treating Early Radiation-Induced Xerostomia. Cancer 118(17): 4244-52. 2012.
- Sehdev A, Zhao Y, Singh AK, Sharma N. Primary Small Cell Carcinoma of the Tonsil: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Case Rep Oncol. 5:537-541. DOI: 10.1159/000343676. 2012.
- Warren GW, Arnold SM, Valentino JP, Gal TJ, Hyland AJ, Singh AK, Rangnekar VM, Cummings KM, Marshall JR, Kudrimoti MS. The Accuracy of Self-Reported Tobacco Assessment at Baseline and During Cancer Treatment in Head and Neck Cancer Patients. Radiother Oncol.103(1):45-8. 2012.
- Ko C, Lita E, McNally D, Wood B, Pinto P, Guion P, Smith S, Krieger A, Ning H, Camphausen K, Singh AK, Kaushal A. Early experiences of Image Guided Prostate and Pelvic Nodal Irradiation with Intensity Modulated Radiation Treatment in Localized Prostate Cancer. World J Oncol 3(1) doi:10.4021/wjon436w. 2012.
- Fung-Kee-Fung SD, Hackett R, Hales L, Warren G, Singh AK. A prospective trial of volumetric intensity-modulated arc therapy vs conventional intensity modulated radiation therapy in advanced head and neck cancer. World journal of clinical oncology 2012; 34:57-62
- Warren GW, Arnold SM, Valentino JP, Gal TJ, Hyland AJ, Singh AK, Rangnekar VM, Cummings KM, Marshall JR, Kudrimoti MR. Accuracy of self-reported tobacco assessments in a head and neck cancer treatment population. Radiotherapy and oncology 2012; 1031:45-48
- Warren GW, Romano MA, Kudrimoti MR, Randall ME, McGarry RC, Singh AK, Rangnekar VM. Nicotinic modulation of therapeutic response in vitro and in vivo. International journal of cancer 2012;13111:2519-2527
- Wong RKW, James JL, Sagar S, Wyatt G, Nguyen-Tan PF, Singh AK, Lukaszczyk B, Cardinale F, Yeh AM, Berk L. Phase 2 results from Radiation Therapy Oncology Group Study 0537: A phase 2/3 study comparing acupuncture-like transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation versus pilocarpine in treating early radiation-induced xerostomia. Cancer 2012; 11817:4244-4252
- Martin KL, Gomez J, Nazareth DP, Warren GW, Singh AK. Quantification of incidental mediastinal and hilar irradiation delivered during definitive stereotactic body radiation therapy for peripheral non-small cell lung cancer. Medical dosimetry 2012; 372:182-185
- Zhu M, Need AC, Han Y, Ge D, Maia JM, Zhu Q, Heinzen EL, Cirulli ET, Pelak K, He M, Ruzzo EK, Gumbs C, Singh, A, Feng S, Shianna KV, Goldstein DB. Using ERDS to infer copy-number variants in high-coverage genomes. American journal of human genetics 2012; 913:408-421
- Krieger A, Iordachita II, Guion P, Singh AK, Kaushal A, Menard C, Pinto PA, Camphausen K, Fichtinger G, Whitcomb LL. An MRI-compatible robotic system with hybrid tracking for MRI-guided prostate intervention. IEEE transactions on bio-medical engineering 2011; 5811:3049-3060
- Platek ME, Merzianu M, Mashtare TL, Popat SR, Rigual NR, Warren GW, Singh AK. Improved survival following surgery and radiation therapy for olfactory neuroblastoma: analysis of the SEER database.Radiation oncology (London, England) 2011; 6:41
- Sen A, Capitano ML, Spernyak JA, Schueckler JT, Thomas S, Singh AK, Evans SS, Hylander BL, Repasky EA.Mild elevation of body temperature reduces tumor interstitial fluid pressure and hypoxia and enhances efficacy of radiotherapy in murine tumor models. Cancer research 2011; 7111:3872-3880
- Platek ME, Reid ME, Wilding GE, Jaggernauth W, Rigual NR, Hicks WL Jr, Popat SR, Warren GW, Sullivan M, Thorstad WL, Khan MK, Loree TR, Singh AK. Pretreatment nutritional status and locoregional failure of patients with head and neck cancer undergoing definitive concurrent chemoradiation therapy.Head and neck 2011; 3311:1561-1568
- Singh AK , Mashtare TL , McCloskey SA , Seixas-Mikelus SA , Kim HL , May KS. Increasing age and treatment modality are predictors for subsequent diagnosis of bladder cancer following prostate cancer diagnosis. International journal of radiation oncology, biology, physics 2010; 784:1086-1094
- Schildkraut JS , Prosser N , Savakis A , Gomez J , Nazareth D , Singh AK , Malhotra HK. Level-set segmentation of pulmonary nodules in megavolt electronic portal images using a CT prior. Medical physics 2010; 3711:5703-5710
- Van Waes C, Allen CT, Citrin D, Gius D, Colevas AD, Harold NA, Rudy S, Nottingham L, Muir C, Chen Z,Singh AK, Dancey J, Morris JC. Molecular and clinical responses in a pilot study of gefitinib with paclitaxel and radiation in locally advanced head-and-neck cancer. International journal of radiation oncology, biology, physics 2010; 772:447-454
- Singh AK, Chen J, Calado R, Sowers A, Mitchell JB, Barrett AJ. TBI with lung dose reduction does not improve hematopoietic cell homing to BM during allogeneic transplantation. Bone marrow transplantation 2010; 451:25-30
- McCloskey SA, Loree TR, Khan MK, Mashtare TL, Sullivan M, Popat SR, Hicks WL, Rigual NR, Jaggernauth W, Singh AK. Radiation treatment interruptions greater than one week and low hemoglobin levels (12 g/dL) are predictors of local regional failure after definitive concurrent chemotherapy and intensity-modulated radiation therapy for squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. American journal of clinical oncology 2009; 326:587-591
- Tchabo NE, McCloskey S, Mashtare TL, Andrews C, Singh AK, Mhawech-Fauceglia P, Odunsi K, Lele S, Jaggernauth W. Treatment of early-stage uterine papillary serous carcinoma at Roswell Park Cancer Institute, 1992-2006. Gynecologic oncology 2009; 1152:249-256
- Sharp H, Morris JC, Van Waes C, Gius D, Cooley-Zgela T, Singh AK. High incidence of oral dysesthesias on a trial of gefitinib, Paclitaxel, and concurrent external beam radiation for locally advanced head and neck cancers. American journal of clinical oncology 2008; 316:557-560
- Singh AK, Kruecker J, Xu S, Glossop N, Guion P, Ullman K, Choyke PL, Wood BJ. Initial clinical experience with real-time transrectal ultrasonography-magnetic resonance imaging fusion-guided prostate biopsy. BJU international 2008; 1017:841-845
- Simone NL, Menard C, Soule BP, Albert PS, Guion P, Smith S, Godette D, Crouse NS, Sciuto LC, Cooley-Zgela T, Camphausen K, Coleman CN, Singh AK. Intrarectal amifostine during external beam radiation therapy for prostate cancer produces significant improvements in Quality of Life measured by EPIC score. International journal of radiation oncology, biology, physics 2008; 701:90-95
- Singh AK, Krieger A, Lattouf J-B, Guion P, Grubb III RL, Albert PS, Metzger G, Ullman K, Smith S, Fichtinger G, Ocak I, Choyke P, Menard C, Coleman J. Patient selection determines the prostate cancer yield of dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging-guided transrectal biopsies in a closed 3-Tesla scanner. BJU international 2008; 1012:181-185
- Simone NL, Singh AK, Cowan JE, Soule BP, Carroll PR, Litwin MS. Pretreatment predictors of death from other causes in men with prostate cancer. Journal of urology 2008; 1806:2447-2451; discussion 2451-2
- Esthappan J, Chaudhari S, Santanam L, Mutic S, Olsen J, MacDonald DM, Low DA, Singh AK, Grigsby PW.Prospective clinical trial of positron emission tomography/computed tomography image-guided intensity-modulated radiation therapy for cervical carcinoma with positive para-aortic lymph nodes.International journal of radiation oncology, biology, physics 2008; 724:1134-1139
- Xu S, Kruecker J, Turkbey B, Glossop N, Singh AK, Choyke P, Pinto P, Wood BJ. Real-time MRI-TRUS fusion for guidance of targeted prostate biopsies. Computer aided surgery 2008; 135:255-264
- Mishra MV, Singh AK. A second transient prostate-specific antigen elevation after external-beam radiation therapy and fractionated magnetic resonance imaging-guided high-dose rate brachytherapy boost. Clinical genitourinary cancer 2007; 56:406-408
- Savani BN, Mielke S, Rezvani K, Montero A, Yong AS, Wish L, Superata J, Kurlander R, Singh A, Childs R, Barrett AJ. Absolute lymphocyte count on day 30 is a surrogate for robust hematopoietic recovery and strongly predicts outcome after T cell-depleted allogeneic stem cell transplantation. Biology of blood and marrow transplantation 2007; 1310:1216-1223
- Singh AK, Savani BN, Albert PS, Barrett AJ. Efficacy of CD34+ stem cell dose in patients undergoing allogeneic peripheral blood stem cell transplantation after total body irradiation. Biology of blood and marrow transplantation 2007; 133:339-344
- Savani BN, Donohue T, Kozanas E, Shenoy A, Singh AK, Childs RW, Barrett AJ. Increased risk of bone loss without fracture risk in long-term survivors after allogeneic stem cell transplantation. Biology of blood and marrow transplantation 2007; 135:517-520
- Lattouf J-B, Grubb III RL, Lee SJ, Bjurlin MA, Albert P, Singh AK, Ocak I, Choyke P, Coleman JA. Magnetic resonance imaging-directed transrectal ultrasonography-guided biopsies in patients at risk of prostate cancer. BJU international 2007; 995:1041-1046
- Soule BP, Simone NL, Savani BN, Ning H, Albert PS, Barrett AJ, Singh AK. Pulmonary function following total body irradiation (with or without lung shielding) and allogeneic peripheral blood stem cell transplant. Bone marrow transplantation 2007; 406:573-578
- Singh AK, Krieger A, Wood BJ, Kruecker J, Xu S, Choyke PL, Fichtinger G, Albert PS, Smith S, Ullman K, Sears-Crouse N, Guion P, Ning H. Simultaneous integrated boost of biopsy proven, MRI defined dominant intra-prostatic lesions to 95 Gray with IMRT: early results of a phase I NCI study. Radiation oncology (London, England) 2007; 2:36