Our world class center
Recognized by the National Cancer Institute as one of the nation’s elite comprehensive cancer centers, Roswell Park remains New York state’s only such center outside of New York City. Our Spinal Oncology Center is one of few in the nation dedicated to the treatment of tumors of the spine.
A physician who helps set the national standards
Andrew Fabiano, MD, FAANS, Department of Neurosurgery and Oncology, is among the experts who serve on the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) panel that writes the national guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of central nervous system cancers, including brain cancers. Dr. Fabiano has been named a North American Spine Society (NASS) 20 Under 40 Spine Surgeon based on his professional accomplishments, community service and philosophy of care, and has been named by the American Board of Neurological Surgery (ABNS) as a guest examiner.
Our cutting-edge therapies
We provide treatments at the forefront of cancer care plus physicians with the expertise to deliver them. We incorporate the latest advancements to treat spinal tumors and the complex challenges that may accompany them. Our treatment approaches include:
- Computer-assisted spinal surgery in which real-time CT images and an intraoperative navigation system guide complete tumor removal and placement of spinal instrumentation if required.
- Latest carbon-fiber spinal instrumentation technology to provide the most advanced level of spinal care.
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy, a highly focused radiotherapy approach that can provide higher, more effective radiation does in fewer treatment sessions.
- Clinical trials of the newest options, especially important for patients with rare tumors such as chordoma or chondrosarcoma.
Our quality, comprehensive care
We provide multispecialty care that integrates the expertise of specialists from different fields including neurosurgeons, neuro-oncologists, radiation oncologists, neuro-radiologists and neuropathologists, plus dietitians, physical therapists and more. Our comprehensive care for patients with spinal tumors offers:
- Rehabilitation medicine including physical, occupational and speech therapy to restore mobility, strength, balance and function.
- Supportive & Palliative Care to provide essential support and symptom management to patients facing difficult symptoms such as pain, nausea, poor sleep, or anxiety related to cancer and its treatment.
- Our Survivorship Program focuses on your continued lifelong wellness and quality of life. The wide range of services are designed to help you manage the emotional, physical and spiritual aspects of life after cancer.
- Genetic screening. Certain rare, inherited genetic disorders may place you at higher risk for developing spinal tumors. These include neurofibromatosis, von Hippel Lindau-disease, Li-Fraumeni syndrome, and tuberous sclerosis. Our genetics experts can help you learn whether genetic screening may benefit you and your family.
- Our Neurofibromatosis Clinic offers comprehensive care and surveillance, supportive services and access to the latest neurofibromatosis treatments — in one location.