A Leader in Colon Cancer Surgery
We are named a High Performing Hospital for Colon Cancer Surgery by U.S. News & World Report, a designation that reflects our exceptional ranking for survival rates, number of procedures performed, nurse-to-patient ratio, and proportion of patients able to return home and post-surgery and resume normal activities
Our Nationally Recognized Physician Team
Our accomplished physicians are leaders in the field and hold leadership roles in the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN). Roswell Park physicians not only follow the evidence-based NCCN treatment guidelines used by physicians around the world; they write them.
- Roswell Park’s Steven Nurkin, MD, MS serves on both of the NCCN panels that establish the best practices for colon and rectal cancer.
Our Surgical Expertise
We are named a High Performing Hospital for Colon Surgery by U.S. News & World Report, a designation that reflects our exceptional ranking for survival rates, number of procedures performed, nurse-to-patient ratio, and proportion of patients able to resume normal activities and return home post-surgery.
- We are the only area facility able to provide intraoperative radiotherapy to treat positive surgical margins during surgery.
- We offer cytoreductive surgery/HIPEC, a complex treatment combining debulking surgery with heated regional chemotherapy. This one-time therapy offers improved survival for patients with advanced disease.
- A high percentage of our surgical patients are able to avoid a permanent colostomy.
Our Quality, Comprehensive Care
We provide multidisciplinary cancer care that integrates the expertise from several specialists, including surgical, medical and radiation oncologists, oncology-focused gastroenterologists, dietitians, physical therapists and more. Our comprehensive care includes:
- Specialized High-Risk Colorectal Cancer program that offers cancer screenings, genetic counseling and testing, surveillance, and preventive options such as chemoprevention or surgery.
- Advanced endoscopic surgery, a minimally invasive procedure that allows some patients to avoid major surgery.
- Our state-of-the-art Endoscopy Center with onsite pathology to provide immediate, mid-procedure pathology review and diagnosis, and advanced, minimally invasive endoscopic treatments.
- Sexual Health Clinic to address cancer and treatment side effects that impact ability to interact intimately.
Our Cutting-Edge Therapies
We offer treatments at the forefront of cancer care, plus clinicians with the knowledge and experience to use them. Our patients with colorectal cancer may opt for a treatment plan that includes:
- Enrolling in clinical trials to access the very latest drugs, immunotherapies and targeted agents — oftentimes years before they become available from other providers. Roswell Park opens new clinical trials every day.
- Treatment with Gamma Knife Radiosurgery, a safer, minimally-invasive radiotherapy approach for metastatic disease to the brain that improves survival and quality of life. Roswell Park is the only provider in the region offering Gamma Knife radiosurgery.
- Our comprehensive approach to stage 4 metastatic disease to the liver, incorporating our high-volume hepatic surgeons and interventional radiologists to offer innovative treatment for liver metastases that can extend survival and potentially cure the cancer.