Dr. Nurkin is a fellowship trained surgical oncologist who specializes in gastrointestinal pre-cancerous conditions and cancers of the entire GI tract, with a focus in colon, appendix, rectum and anus.
His expertise is in minimally invasive approaches to tumors with advanced endoscopic, laparoscopic and robotic techniques. Advanced endoscopic procedures include: Endoscopic Mucosal Resection (EMR), Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection and Transanal Minimally Invasive and Endoscopic Microsurgery (Tamis/TEM).
His clinical research interests focus on improving the outcomes and quality of care in patients with cancer. He is a Quality Leader at RPCI, as chair of the OR Quality committee, a member of the hospital QI executive committee and surgeon champion of NSQIP. He also spearheaded the implementation of Enhance Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) at RPCI.
Dr. Nurkin is a panel member for the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN), in Colon, Rectal and Anal cancers and helps develop national guidelines for the management of these diseases. Dr. Nurkin is a member of the American College of Surgeons (ACS), Society of Surgical Oncology, (as well as a member of the Colorectal Disease Site Work Group for the SSO), the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) and American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons (ASCRS).
- Interpreting the Evidence on Neoadjuvant Treatment of Esophageal Adenocarcinoma: In Reply to Yim and Colleagues. Al-Sukhni E, Gabriel E, Attwood K, Kukar M, Nurkin SJ, Hochwald SN. J Am Coll Surg. 2017 May;224(5):997-998. doi: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2017.01.045. No abstract available. PMID: 28449936 Similar articles Select item 28437313
- Enhanced Recovery After Surgery for Noncolorectal Surgery?: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Major Abdominal Surgery. Visioni A, Shah R, Gabriel E, Attwood K, Kukar M, Nurkin S. Ann Surg. 2017 Apr 21. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000002267. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28437313 Similar articles Select item 28433254
- Does adjuvant therapy improve overall survival for stage IA/B pancreatic adenocarcinoma? Ostapoff KT, Gabriel E, Attwood K, Kuvshinoff BW, Nurkin SJ, Hochwald SN. HPB (Oxford). 2017 Apr 19. pii: S1365-182X(17)30528-2. doi: 10.1016/j.hpb.2017.03.002. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28433254 Similar articles Select item 28420585
- Adjuvant Chemotherapy Is Associated With Improved Overall Survival in Locally Advanced Rectal Cancer After Achievement of a Pathologic Complete Response to Chemoradiation. Shahab D, Gabriel E, Attwood K, Ma WW, Francescutti V, Nurkin S, Boland PM. Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2017 Mar 18. pii: S1533-0028(16)30271-7. doi: 10.1016/j.clcc.2017.03.005. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28420585 Similar articles Select item 28275037
- National Disparities in Surgical Approach to T1 Rectal Cancer and Impact on Outcomes. Gabriel E, Thirunavukarasu P, Al-Sukhni E, Attwood K, Nurkin SJ. Am Surg. 2016 Nov 1;82(11):1080-1091. PMID: 28206935 Similar articles