Dr. Nurkin is a Buffalo Spree Top Doctor! See all of our physicians who made this year's list.
Specializing In:Laparoscopic and Robotic Gastrointestinal Surgery Endoscopic Resection of Tumors Surgical Education The Use of a IT and Mobile “App” Technology to Improve Patient Care
Research Interests:Endoscopic, laparoscopic and robotic surgery for GI malignancies Complex colorectal cancer management Expertise in “watch and wait” / non-operative management of rectal cancer
About Steven Nurkin
Dr. Nurkin is a fellowship trained surgical oncologist who specializes in gastrointestinal pre-cancerous conditions and cancers of the entire GI tract, with a focus in colon, appendix, rectum and anus.
His expertise is in minimally invasive approaches to tumors with advanced endoscopic, laparoscopic and robotic techniques. Advanced endoscopic procedures include: Endoscopic Mucosal Resection (EMR), Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection and Transanal Minimally Invasive and Endoscopic Microsurgery (Tamis/TEM).
His clinical research interests focus on improving the outcomes and quality of care in patients with cancer. He is a Quality Leader at Roswell Park, as chair of the OR Quality committee, a member of the hospital QI executive committee and surgeon champion of NSQIP. He also spearheaded the implementation of Enhance Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) at Roswell Park.
Dr. Nurkin is a panel member for the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN), in Colon, Rectal and Anal cancers and helps develop national guidelines for the management of these diseases. Dr. Nurkin is a member of the American College of Surgeons (ACS), Society of Surgical Oncology, (as well as a member of the Colorectal Disease Site Work Group for the SSO), the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) and American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons (ASCRS).
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Chief of Colorectal Surgery
- Associate Professor of Oncology
- Department of Surgical Oncology
Education and Training:
- Technion Faculty of Medicine, Haifa, Israel
- General Surgery Resident, New York Hospital Queens / New York Presbyterian Hospital, Flushing, NY
- Chief Surgical Resident, New York Hospital Queens / New York Presbyterian Hospital, Flushing, NY
- Surgical Oncology Fellow, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY
- American Board of Surgery
- American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- Society of Surgical Oncology (SSO)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons (ASCRS)
Featured on Cancer Talk
Showing all3 of 7 CollapseView all
- Interpreting the Evidence on Neoadjuvant Treatment of Esophageal Adenocarcinoma: In Reply to Yim and Colleagues. Al-Sukhni E, Gabriel E, Attwood K, Kukar M, Nurkin SJ, Hochwald SN. J Am Coll Surg. 2017 May;224(5):997-998. doi: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2017.01.045. No abstract available. PMID: 28449936 Similar articles Select item 28437313
- Enhanced Recovery After Surgery for Noncolorectal Surgery?: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Major Abdominal Surgery. Visioni A, Shah R, Gabriel E, Attwood K, Kukar M, Nurkin S. Ann Surg. 2017 Apr 21. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000002267. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28437313 Similar articles Select item 28433254
- Does adjuvant therapy improve overall survival for stage IA/B pancreatic adenocarcinoma? Ostapoff KT, Gabriel E, Attwood K, Kuvshinoff BW, Nurkin SJ, Hochwald SN. HPB (Oxford). 2017 Apr 19. pii: S1365-182X(17)30528-2. doi: 10.1016/j.hpb.2017.03.002. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28433254 Similar articles Select item 28420585
- Adjuvant Chemotherapy Is Associated With Improved Overall Survival in Locally Advanced Rectal Cancer After Achievement of a Pathologic Complete Response to Chemoradiation. Shahab D, Gabriel E, Attwood K, Ma WW, Francescutti V, Nurkin S, Boland PM. Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2017 Mar 18. pii: S1533-0028(16)30271-7. doi: 10.1016/j.clcc.2017.03.005. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28420585 Similar articles Select item 28275037
- National Disparities in Surgical Approach to T1 Rectal Cancer and Impact on Outcomes. Gabriel E, Thirunavukarasu P, Al-Sukhni E, Attwood K, Nurkin SJ. Am Surg. 2016 Nov 1;82(11):1080-1091. PMID: 28206935 Similar articles