Dr. Nurkin is a fellowship trained surgical oncologist who specializes in gastrointestinal pre-cancerous conditions and cancers of the entire GI tract, with a focus in colon, appendix, rectum and anus.
His expertise is in minimally invasive approaches to tumors with advanced endoscopic, laparoscopic and robotic techniques. Advanced endoscopic procedures include: Endoscopic Mucosal Resection (EMR), Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection and Transanal Minimally Invasive and Endoscopic Microsurgery (Tamis/TEM).
His clinical research interests focus on improving the outcomes and quality of care in patients with cancer. He is a Quality Leader at Roswell Park, as chair of the OR Quality committee, a member of the hospital QI executive committee and surgeon champion of NSQIP. He also spearheaded the implementation of Enhance Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) at Roswell Park.
Dr. Nurkin is a panel member for the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN), in Colon, Rectal and Anal cancers and helps develop national guidelines for the management of these diseases. Dr. Nurkin is a member of the American College of Surgeons (ACS), Society of Surgical Oncology, (as well as a member of the Colorectal Disease Site Work Group for the SSO), the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) and American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons (ASCRS).
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Associate Professor of Oncology
- Department of Surgical Oncology
Education and Training:
- Technion Faculty of Medicine, Haifa, Israel
- General Surgery Resident, New York Hospital Queens / New York Presbyterian Hospital, Flushing, NY
- Chief Surgical Resident, New York Hospital Queens / New York Presbyterian Hospital, Flushing, NY
- Surgical Oncology Fellow, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY
- American Board of Surgery
- American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- Society of Surgical Oncology (SSO)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons (ASCRS)