If you have rectal cancer that has recurred after previous cancer treatment, you are not alone. We can help.
Recurrent rectal cancer and its treatment can be very complex and optimal care requires a comprehensive approach from providers uniquely experienced in this disease condition.
Treatments for recurrent rectal cancer
Our dedicated program involves experts from across our cancer center who work together to offer you your best path forward, which may include:
- Complex cancer surgery. The surgical procedures performed to treat recurrent rectal cancer are often extensive operations that involve the spine and/or urinary and gynecologic organ systems. Our high-volume colorectal surgeons perform these operations in collaboration with Roswell Park specialized surgical teams from urology, gynecology, orthopedics and neurosurgery.
- Intraoperative radiation to treat surgical margins with radiation during surgery and improve cancer control.
- Plastic & reconstructive surgery to restore physical appearance and function in affected areas of the body.
- Intensive pelvic floor rehabilitation to ease symptoms, such as incontinence, pain, and sexual dysfunction, and improve function and quality of life.
- Sacral nerve stimulation for patients with persistent bowel and bladder dysfunction. This potentially life changing option uses an implanted medical device to stimulate electrical signals to the nerves and muscles in the pelvic area, including the pelvic floor, urethral sphincters and bladder sphincters, which alert the brain to sensations of fullness of the bladder or rectum.
- Nutrition services integrated into your cancer treatment to help you, with full-time registered dieticians available on-site, or with virtual consultations.
- Clinical trials of the latest emerging therapies and drugs.
To arrange for a consultation, call 1-800-ROSWELL (1-800-767-9355) or fill out the online form below. We’ll take care of the rest.