Dr. Hansen is a Buffalo Spree Top Doctor! See all of our physicians who made this year's list.
Special Interests:Advanced care planning in underserved populations Immunotherapy toxicity monitoring and treatment
About Eric Hansen
I was born and raised in Rochester, NY. I graduated from the University of Rochester with an undergraduate degree in biology and history in 2008. I graduated from the University of Rochester School of Medicine in 2013, which included a year in London, U.K. and Toronto, Canada studying the history of universal healthcare. I also completed the Medical Education Pathway, a two year program which provided additional training for medical students interested in a career in medical education. I completed internal medicine residency at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago, IL in 2016, with a research focus in advanced care planning in underserved populations. I completed a palliative care fellowship at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, MD in 2017, with a research focus in immunotherapy toxicity as well as advanced care planning in patients living with HIV.
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Assistant Professor of Oncology
- Supportive and Palliative Care
Education and Training:
- 2008-2013 - MD - University of Rochester School of Medicine, Medical Education Pathway
- 2013-2016 - Internal Medicine, Northwestern Memorial Hospital/McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
- 2016-2017 - Palliative Medicine, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- Internal Medicine
- American Association of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
Honors & Awards:
- 2016 - Northwestern University Gerald Grummet Award (Best senior resident teacher as elected by intern class)
- 2015 Best Resident Lecture
- 2013 - Alpha Omega Alpha
- Resident Teacher of the Month (awarded multiple times)
- Hansen, E. D., Wang, X., Case, A.A., Puzanov, I., Smith, T. (2018). "Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor Toxicity Review for the Palliative Care Clinician." J Pain Symptom Manage 56(3): 460-472.
- Hansen, E., Nadagoundla, C., Wang, C., Miller, A., & Case, A. A. (2019). Buprenorphine for
Cancer Pain in Patients With Nonmedical Opioid Use: A Retrospective Study at a
Comprehensive Cancer Center. Am J Hosp Palliat Care, 1049909119884358.
- Hansen, E. D., Mitchell, M.M., Cruz Oliver, D.M., Alghanim, F.A., Walter, M., Case, A.A., Smith, T., Knowlton, A.R (2019). "Chronic Pain, Functional Status, and Life Satisfaction Are Associated With Patients Living With HIV Discussing Advance Care Planning With Their Family or Friends." J Pain Symptom Manage 57(5): 961-965.
- Swarm, R. A., Paice, J. A., Anghelescu, D. L., Are, M., Bruce, J. Y., Buga, S., Hansen, ED,. .
. Gurski, L. A. (2019). Adult Cancer Pain, Version 3.2019, NCCN Clinical Practice
Guidelines in Oncology. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 17(8), 977-1007
- Milazzo, S., Hansen, E., Carozza, D., Case, A.A. (2020). “How Effective is Palliative Care in Improving Patient Outcomes?” Curr Treat Options Oncol 21(2):12.
- Hansen E, Mitchell M, Smith T, Hutton N, Keruly J, Knowlton A. Chronic pain, patient-physician engagement, and family communication associated with drug-using HIV patient’s discussing advanced care planning with their physicians. J pain Symptom Manage. 2017 Jul 22; [Epub ahead of print].