Dr. Case is a Buffalo Spree Top Doctor! See all of our physicians who made this year's list.
Specializing In:Palliative medicine Pain management Palliation of dyspnea in COPD Prognostication Advance directive discussions
About Amy Case
I am currently the Lee Foundation Endowed Chair of the Department of Palliative and Supportive Care and serve as the Palliative Care Program Chief at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center. I have been in this role since January of 2016, and I previously served as the Director of Palliative Medicine at the VA Western New York Healthcare System from 2005-20016. In 2005, I started and served as the program director for the University at Buffalo (UB) Palliative Medicine Fellowship until 2017. This fellowship program graduates four palliative medicine fellows annually. I am an Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine at UB.
I completed a residency in internal medicine at the University at Buffalo in 2004 and went on to complete a fellowship in Palliative and Pain Medicine at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York (2004-2005). I was initially board certified in Internal Medicine, Pain Medicine and have maintained my Hospice and Palliative Medicine board certification. I have several published articles, including peer-reviewed clinical research, book chapters and review articles. My scholarly focus is on the palliation of inoperable malignant bowel obstruction, chemical coping, buprenorphine use for cancer pain, medical cannabis and palliative medicine education. I have given many lectures, presentations and grand rounds locally and have been invited nationally to speak on palliative and pain topics. I teach medical students, residents, and fellows daily. I recently served a three-year term as chair for the education special interest group and currently serve as the chair for the fellowship director’s special interest group for the national organization, the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (AAHPM). I also serve as the editor for a quarterly educational exchange series brief report in the top read journal in palliative medicine, The Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, and have served as an ad hoc reviewer for this journal in the past.
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Associate Professor of Oncology
- Chair, Department of Supportive Care
- Lee Foundation Endowed Chair of the Department of Supportive and Palliative Care
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University at Buffalo
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- Division of Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine
Education and Training:
- 2001 - MD - State University of New York at Buffalo, Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Buffalo, NY
- 2004 - Internal Medicine - State University of New York at Buffalo, Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Buffalo, NY
- 2005 - Pain and Palliative Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, New York, NY
- Internal Medicine
- Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- Pain Medicine
- 2021 Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer (MASCC) Member and Guideline Committee for Cannabis Use in Supportive Care
- 2019-Present - Alliance of Designated Cancer Centers (ADCC) National Supportive Oncology Committee
- 2018- Present - National Palliative Research Collaborative
- 2018-Present - Member, Gratwick Society
- 2015-Present - Nominated as fellow of American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (FAAHPM)
- 2011-Present - American College of Physicians (ACP)
- 2004-Present - American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (AAHPM)
- 9/2015-1/2016 - UB/MD Associate Program Director/VA Site Director UB Internal Medicine Residency Program
- 6/2014-Present - Associate Professor of Medicine, SUNY at Buffalo Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship Program Director, Division of Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine, SUNY at Buffalo School of Medicine & Biomedical Sciences
- 7/2005-6/2014 - Assistant Professor of Medicine, SUNY at Buffalo Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship Program Director, Division of Palliative Medicine, SUNY at Buffalo School of Medicine & Biomedical Sciences
- 7/2005-1/2016 - Director of Palliative Medicine, Geriatrics and Extended Care Veterans Administration Western New York Healthcare System
Honors & Awards:
- 2018-2021 - Buffalo Spree Top Docs
- 2017 - Named Patrick Warn Lee Endowed Chair Department of Palliative Care
- 2015 - First annual “Program Director of Excellence” award. Given out by UB GME
- 2012 - VA Service Award, for 10 years of employment at the VA, VAWNYHS
- 2012 - SUNY at Buffalo (UB) Graduate Medicine Education (GME) Award for Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), 5-yr accreditation cycle, no citations for Hospice & Palliative Medicine Fellowship for which I serve as program director
- 2009 - UB GME award, for ACGME accreditation maximum number of year cycle for the new program, the UB Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship
- 2008 - Certificate of Recognition VAWNYHS National Under Secretary for Health Customer Service Unit Level Award, for helping to lead Planetree culture change by example
- 2006 - Special Contribution Award, Given by Michael Finegan, Director of VAWNYHS, for a unique contribution to the mission of the department
- 2002 - Humanism and Excellence in Teaching Award, Arnold P. Gold Foundation
- 2002 - Intern of the year (Lawrence H. Golden Award), For combining humanistic attributes with a scientific approach to patient care
- 2001 - Harry E. and Loretta A. Jordan Award for Investigation in Neoplastic Disease
- 2001 - Generalist Scholar Award, For Achievement in Clinical Research
Featured on Cancer Talk
Showing all3 of 6 CollapseView all
1. Nathan R, Mupamombe C, Elibol J, Case AA, Smith D, Hyland A, Attwood K, Hansen E. Assessing Efficacy and Use of Medical Cannabis in Elderly Cancer Patients. Amer J Hospice Palliat Med. 2022, Vol. 0(0) 1-6.
Role: Mentor for fellows and Dr. Hansen, input into design, analysis, manuscript writing and editing.
2. Worster B, Ashare R, Meghani SH, Smith D, Case AA, Selvan P, Shimada A, Garber GD, Leader A. Prevalence and perceptions of cannabis use among racially diverse patients with cancer pain: Results from a multi-site survey. J Clin Oncol 2022 40:16_suppl, 12125-12125.
Role: Site PI, collaborator.
3. Davis MP, Case AA, Cyr C. Do we have structure, process and outcomes to support cannabis as supportive therapy in cancer? Amer J Hospice Palliat Med 2022;0(0)1-10.
Role: Manuscript drafting, editing and review, collaborating author.
4. Case AA, Epstein AS, Gustin JL. Advance care planning imperative: High-quality patient-centered goals of care. BMJ Support Palliat Care 2022;0:1-3.
Role: Corresponding author
5. Case, AA, Kullgren J, Anwar S, Pedraza S, Davis MP. Treating Chronic Pain with Buprenorphine—The Practical Guide. Curr Treat Options in Oncol (2021) 22:116.
Role: Corresponding author.