Our pediatric cancer center offers blood, bone marrow and stem cell transplants for children of all ages, from infants to adolescents, for these types of cancers and blood disorders:
- Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis (HLH)
- Aplastic anemia, Fanconi anemia and other marrow failure syndromes
- Myelodysplastic and myeloproliferative disorders
- Sickle cell disease
- Malignant brain tumors
- Immunodeficiency disorders
Our youngest patients can now receive treatment close to home and do not have to leave the area.
Blood and Marrow Transplantation (BMT) is a way to replace stem cells and restore bone marrow after they have been destroyed by high-dose chemotherapy or radiation treatment.
With pediatric BMT, children receive the new or transplanted cells intravenously (IV), in the same way as a blood transfusion.
We treat pediatric cancers and noncancerous disorders using:
- Blood and bone marrow transplantation
- Allogeneic uses blood-forming stem cells from a donor with similar genes
- Autologous returns the child’s own bone marrow after intensive treatment
- Stem cell infusion
- Umbilical cord transplantation
- T-cell therapies
The John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital is our stand-alone children’s hospital and is a partner of Roswell Park for the Pediatric Cancer and Blood Disorders Program.
The Katherine, Anne and Donna Gioia Pediatric Hematology Oncology outpatient center is located near the new inpatient hospital. It serves all outpatient needs for our pediatric cancer and blood disorder program.
With these partnerships, we can access the latest science and clinical trial research. This means we can offer therapies you may not be able to get elsewhere.
Our Children’s Hospital facility and outpatient center are designed with pediatric patients and their families in mind. Children are free to walk the hallways and enjoy the playrooms in our bright and airy center. We also have a family lounge where you can visit with other parents and families, while still being able to see how your child is doing.
The Gioia Pediatric Hematology Oncology Outpatient Center is a state-of-the-art facility providing infusion and patient care areas.
Our Child Life Specialists help your child pass the time in the clinic and during treatment with activities such as playing games and playing with toys, watching movies and doing crafts.
Our physicians are experts in caring for children who are undergoing bone marrow and stem cell transplants. We collaborate closely with our national and world experts in adult BMT at Roswell Park. We offer clinical trials through national organizations that focus on improving outcomes in children undergoing BMT.
Family-Centered Approach to Care
We understand that having a sick child impacts the entire family. We work to support everyone while your child receives care.
Along with our specialized physicians, we have a strong psychosocial team within our program that includes a dedicated psychologist and social worker to support our patients.
We also provide integrative medicine for the entire family. This medicine focuses on care for the whole person - body, mind and spirit. Acupuncture, acupressure, essential oil aromatherapy and massage therapy are just a few of the services we offer.
Expanded Blood and Marrow Transplant Program
The new John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital will allow us to do bone marrow transplants on children of all ages in a unit specifically designed to meet the needs of our pediatric patients. Addition offerings for our expanded Blood and Marrow Transplant program include:
- Expanded Phase One Clinical Trials, which offer early drug developments for children who have not had success with other treatments.
- Treatment for specific cancers and nonmalignant disorders (such as sickle cell anemia and immune disorders).
- Cutting-edge cellular therapies such as chimeric antigen receptor CAR T-cell therapy. Our program is the only center in upstate New York to offer access to this therapy for children with a relapse of acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
- Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy accredited pediatric program under the umbrella of the adult BMT program, which means we bring together all our research and clinical expertise to give your child the best possible care.
With our ability to treat children of all ages, as well as our new family-focused facilities, we are proud to be able to care for our youngest patients so your family can stay close to home.