If your child is going through a challenging time with a cancer or blood disorder diagnosis, Roswell Park Oishei Children’s offers family-centered care to help all of you feel comfortable and supported. We coordinate your child’s care through all levels and disciplines to make sure the experience is seamless, from inpatient and outpatient treatments to follow-up well check appointments.
Our Collaborative Approach
Our young patients and their families helped us design and build our new children’s inpatient and outpatient facilities. You can be sure the landscape of our new buildings is in tune with what your child and family needs.
Along with the pediatric hematologist (blood disorder specialist) or oncologist (cancer specialist) involved with a patient’s care, we also have:
- Nurse practitioners
- Social workers
- Child life specialists
- Patient navigators
- Integrative medicine specialists who work with patients, parents and siblings
This approach helps Roswell Park Oishei Children’s offer the best collaborative care to your whole family.
Outpatient and Inpatient Facilities
We have designed our new facilities to make sure they’re bright and airy places for your child and family. In addition to close proximity to all of the specialists and services your child needs, we took extra steps to make sure your child will feel comfortable while receiving treatments at Roswell Park Oishei Children’s.
The Outpatient Center
The Katherine, Anne and Donna Gioia Pediatric Hematology Oncology Outpatient Center is a state-of-the-art facility providing infusion and patient exam areas. That means care that once took place in two outpatient centers is now conveniently located in one.
Our outpatient center offers:
- Flexible infusion bays: when your child is receiving chemotherapy and transfusions, it’s his or her choice if they would like to interact and socialize that day. If so, your child can open the window and talk to the patient in the next bay. If your child isn’t feeling up to socializing that day, his or her window and curtain can be closed for quiet.
- Comfortable infusion chairs: during treatment, your child can get comfortable in our cozy infusion chairs, complete with heat and massage options.
- Playroom: our playroom offers an interactive video wall, gaming systems, and dedicated play stations for younger children. A child life specialist will be on hand to help your child enjoy crafts, games and other therapeutic play activities.
- Caregiver lounge: we have designed a family lounge where you can get a cup of coffee or a snack and chat with other caregivers. You can still keep an eye on your child while enjoying a bit of a break with other caregivers in the lounge.
Our Child-Centered Inpatient Care Environment
If your child has to spend extended amounts of time in the hospital, the John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital is a stand-alone children’s hospital and a partner of Roswell Park.
- Patient rooms: designed to be comfortable and kid-friendly, our patient rooms are large enough for visitors with an extra bed for a parent or caregiver to stay the night. Rooms also have a refrigerator, two TVs for both the patient and caregiver, and internet access for your child to enjoy, helping it feel more like home.
- Fully-stocked pediatric kitchen: your child can find their favorite snacks any time of day or night. The kitchen is also available for you or your family members to cook if you wish.
- Environmental protection: our inpatient unit has full environmental protection for our patients, affording those severely immune-compromised children with the safest infrastructure for care.
Collaborative Care puts Your Child First
The joint pediatric programs and new facilities allow for a seamless transition of care if your child is being seen in the outpatient facility and then needs to be admitted to the John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital.
Your child’s well-being is what matters most to us. Having this transition of care between the outpatient and inpatient facilities helps keep your child out of the emergency room whenever possible. You’ll find the buildings are close to each other and easy to navigate.
As Roswell Park, our integrative medicine specialists work with patients to treat and possibly even prevent symptoms and side effects of their treatment. These services include:
- Guided imagery
- Breathing exercises
These services are offered in the outpatient setting, and you and your family members can also use them to help reduce stress and anxiety free of charge.