How Can I Beat Lung Cancer?
The two best ways to beat lung cancer is to:
- Prevent lung cancer by minimizing or eliminating risk factors, and
- Detect lung cancer at its earliest and most treatable stage.
Some risk factors, such as existing lung disease, previous cancers, and a family history of the disease cannot be changed. But you can take these steps to reduce your risk and detect early-stage disease:
- Quit smoking. Smoking is a difficult addictive habit, but you can quit and we can help. Call the New York State Smokers’ Quitline (1-866-NY-QUITS or 1-866-697-8487). This free and confidential service, housed at Roswell Park, provides effective smoking cessation services to New Yorkers who want to stop smoking.
Since the Quitline began in 2000, it has received over a million calls and helped thousands of New Yorkers overcome their addiction to nicotine.
- Avoid exposure to cancer-causing substances. Take necessary steps to prevent exposure to second-hand smoke, asbestos, radon and other cancer-causing substances. Seek appropriate mitigation if you have asbestos or radon in your home. On the job, wear any appropriate protective gear, mask, or other apparatus.
- Get Screened for Lung Cancer. If you face a higher risk due to your smoking history, occupation, asbestos exposure or other factors, we can help. Roswell Park offers a lung cancer risk assessment and screening tests to those at high risk. Learn whether you’re eligible by completing this Online Form.
The Endoscopy CenterOur Endoscopy Center brings together Advanced Endoscopy and Interventional Pulmonology services into one facility where more than 90 percent of procedures, including lung cancer screenings, are performed on an outpatient basis.