Our World Class Team
Our accomplished physicians are leaders in the field, receiving honors and distinction from the Kidney Cancer Association and the American Urological Association, and hold leadership roles in the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) and the VHL Clinical Advisory Council for hereditary kidney cancers. Roswell Park oncologists not only follow the evidence-based treatment guidelines used by physicians around the world — they write them.
- Medical oncologist Saby George, MD, FACP serves on the NCCN panel that establishes, and continually updates, the clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of kidney cancer. Read the patient-friendly version of the Kidney Cancer guidelines.
- Urologist Eric Kauffman, MD serves on the VHL Alliance Clinical Advisory Council, an international committee that advises on the specialty care required for patients with this hereditary syndrome.
Our Cutting-Edge Therapies
We offer treatments at the forefront of cancer care, plus clinicians with the knowledge and experience to use them. Our patients with kidney cancer may opt for a treatment plan that involves:
- Minimally-invasive robotic surgery from surgeons who perform a high volume of these complex surgeries, including kidney-sparing procedures, more than any other facility in Western New York.
- Our expertise in immunotherapy approaches that have revolutionized kidney cancer treatment. These newest drugs and combinations demand unique experience to deliver them safely. Roswell Park conducted the clinical trials for many of these drugs, beginning nearly a decade ago.
- Our pioneering approach for active surveillance to safely monitor many patients with small or low-risk kidney tumors, allowing these patients to avoid unnecessary surgery and treatment.
- Enrolling in clinical trials to access the very latest drugs, immunotherapies and targeted agents — oftentimes years before they become available from other providers. Roswell Park opens new clinical trials every day.
Our Quality, Comprehensive Care
Our kidney team, working under one roof, collaborates to ensure every patient receives the highest quality care — delivering the right treatment, at the right time, and in the right sequence.
- Our multidisciplinary cancer care integrates the expertise from several specialists, including oncology-focused urologists, medical and radiation oncologists, who focus on patients with kidney tumors every day. Patients may see multiple different specialists on the same visit.
- We offer a broad range of holistic support services to treat the whole person, not just their cancer, such as nutrition services, physical therapy, tobacco cessation, acupuncture, spiritual care, counseling, music, art and pet therapy, and more.
- The Survivorship Center, designed specifically for patients who have completed active treatment, offers lifelong medical care and support to meet the unique needs of cancer survivors as they face forward and embrace a new normal.