Dr. Kauffman was appointed to the faculty at Roswell Park Cancer Institute (RPCI) in 2012. He serves in the Department of Urology and in the Department of Cancer Genetics. Dr. Kauffman attended the Pritzker School of Medicine at the University of Chicago, IL, where he earned his medical degree (2004) and was awarded a Howard Hughes Medical Institute fellowship for molecular research in prostate cancer (2001-2002). He subsequently completed his internship in General Surgery (2006) and residency in Urology (2010) at New York Presbyterian Hospital of Weill Medical College, Cornell University in New York, NY. He completed a clinical and research fellowship in Urologic Oncology at the National Cancer Institute of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD in 2012.
Dr. Kauffman specializes in the care of patients with kidney and prostate cancers and provides expertise in both robot-assisted and open operative approaches, including partial or radical nephrectomy and radical prostatectomy. His research interests include active surveillance as a primary management option for patients with low-risk kidney cancers, and the molecular characterization of early metastatic potential in kidney and prostate cancers, including molecular marker discovery and elucidation of signaling pathways for therapeutic targeting.
Dr. Kauffman is a member of the American Urological Association and the Society of Urologic Oncology.
Dr. Kauffman has authored and co-authored several peer-reviewed publications, book chapters and abstracts on genitourinary oncology topics.
- Kauffman EC, Liu H, Schwartz MJ, Scherr DS. Toll-like receptor 7 agonist therapy with imidazoquinoline enhances cancer cell death and increases lymphocytic infiltration and proinflammatory cytokine production in established tumors of a renal cell carcinoma mouse model. J Oncol. 2012;2012:103298. PubMed PMID: 22481916; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3317372.
- Kauffman EC, Robinson BD, Downes MJ, Powell LG, Lee MM, Scherr DS, Gudas LJ, Mongan NP. Role of androgen receptor and associated lysine-demethylase coregulators, LSD1 and JMJD2A, in localized and advanced human bladder cancer. Mol Carcinog. 2011 Dec;50(12):931-44. PubMed PMID: 21400613; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3315373.
- Kauffman EC, Ng CK, Lee MM, Otto BJ, Wang GJ, Scherr DS. Early oncological outcomes for bladder urothelial carcinoma patients treated with robotic-assisted radical cystectomy. BJU Int. 2011 Feb;107(4):628-35. PubMed PMID: 20883479.
- Kauffman EC, Barocas DA, Chen YT, Yang XJ, Scherr DS, Tu JJ. Differential expression of KAI1 metastasis suppressor protein in renal cell tumor histological subtypes. J Urol. 2009 May;181(5):2305-11. PubMed PMID: 193303095.
- Kauffman EC, Robinson VL, Stadler WM, Sokoloff MH, Rinker-Schaeffer CW. Metastasis suppression: the evolving role of metastasis suppressor genes for regulating cancer cell growth at the secondary site. J Urol. 2003 Mar;169(3):1122-33. PubMed PMID: 12576866.