Specializing In:Cancer cell biology Liver cancer Agrin biology in cancer Cell signaling Tumor microenvironment Mechanotransduction in cancer Tumor angiogenesis Hippo pathway in cancer and tissue repair Targeted therapies
Special Interests:Tumor mechanics in liver and other solid cancers Agrin biology YAP/TAZ oncogenic pathways Angiogenesis Targeting the tumor microenvironment Extracellular matrix
About Sayan Chakraborty
Sayan Chakraborty, Ph.D., completed his doctoral training from the Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Sciences, North Chicago, IL, in entry, signaling and trafficking of oncogenic Human Hepesvirus-8. Subsequently, he pursued his post-doctoral studies in the Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, Singapore, where he discovered an oncogenic role of proteoglycan Agrin in liver cancer. His recent studies illustrate the emerging role of extracellular matrix proteins in shaping the tumor mechanotransduction and altered signaling response that impact the tumor microenvironment. Sayan has developed several targeting strategies against Agrin as novel cancer therapies. Recent discoveries also highlight an exciting role of Agrin as a tissue-repair and wound healing agent. His seminal research works are published in leading scientific journals including PNAS, Nature Communications, Nature Materials, Cell Reports and PloS Pathogens.
Sayan joined the Roswell Park community as an Assistant Professor of Oncology in 2022. The Chakraborty lab at Roswell Park establishes cutting-edge cancer research and tissue regeneration programs that investigate the in-depth molecular and biochemical mechanisms of the oncogenic and tissue-regenerative functions of Agrin. In addition to original research articles, Sayan has published international patents and is awarded with several competitive funds.
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Assistant Professor of Oncology
- Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics
Education and Training:
- 2012 - PhD - Microbiology and Immunology, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Sciences, North Chicago, IL
- 2008 - MSc - Biochemistry, University of Calcutta, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
- 2016-present - Associate member, American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
- 2020-2022 - Research Assistant Professor/Senior Research Scientist, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, A*Star, Singapore
- 2015-2020 - Senior research fellow, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, A*Star, Singapore
Honors & Awards:
- 2021 - Career Development Award, A*STAR, Singapore
- 2018 - Open-Fund Young Investigator Research Grant awardee, NMRC, Singapore
- 2017 - Travel award, EMBO workshop on Hippo pathway, Italy
- 2015 - Early career research award, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, Singapore
- 2012 - Dean's award for excellence in research, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Sciences, North Chicago, IL
1. Chakraborty S*, Sampath D, Ong Yu-Lin M, Bilton M, Huang CK, Njah K, Goy P, Wang C, Guccione E, Lim CT, and Wanjin Hong*. 2021. Agrin-Matrix Metalloproteinase-12 axis confers a mechanically competent microenvironment in skin wound healing. *Corresponding author. Nature Commun. 12(1):6349. News and views https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/936968; Featured on CNA938 health matters on Jan 3, 2022.
2. Chakraborty S*, Hong W (2020). Oncogenetic engagement with mechanosensing. Nature. Mater. 19, 707-709. *Corresponding author.
3. Pobbati AV, Mejuch T, Chakraborty S, Karatus H, Gueret SM, Goy P, Hahne G, Sievers S, Guccione E, Song H, Waldmann H, Hong W (2019). Identification of Quinolinols as activators of Tead dependent transcription. ACS Chem Biol. 14(12):2909-2921.
4. Chakraborty S*, Njah K*, Qiu B, Arumugam S, Lakshmanan M, Tergaonkar V, Thibault G, Wang X, Hong W (2019). A role of Agrin in maintaining the stability of Vascular endothelial receptor-2 during tumor angiogenesis. Cell Rep. 28(4):949-965. *Co-first authors; #Corresponding and lead author. Featured in A-STAR research highlights September 2019, Media attention September 26, 2019 (http://www.asiatoday.com/pressrelease/singapore-scientists-discover-new-ways-treat-liver-cancer)
5. Chakraborty S*, Hong W (2018). Linking extracellular matrix Agrin to the Hippo pathway in liver cancer and beyond. Cancers 10(2):45 *Corresponding author.
6. Chakraborty S*, Kizito N, Pobbati AV, Lim YB, Raju A, Lakshmanan M, Tergaonkar V, Lim CT, Hong W* (2017). Agrin as a mechanotransduction signal regulating YAP through the Hippo pathway. Cell Rep. 18(10):2464-2479. Highlighted in Trends in Cancer: ‘Agrin to YAP in Cancer and Neuromuscular Junctions' March 28, 2017
7. Chakraborty S, Lakshmanan M, Swa HL, Chen J, Zhang X, Ong YS, Loo LS, Gunaratne J, Tergaonkar V, Hui KM, Hong W. (2015). An oncogenic role of Agrin in regulating focal adhesion integrity in hepatocellular carcinoma. Nature. Commun. 6:6184. Featured in ‘A-STAR research highlights June 2015'
News and reviews in Straits Times “Scientist make key find in treating liver cancer''
8. Chakraborty S, ValiyaVeettil M, Bottero V, Chandran B. 2012. Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus interacts with EphrinA2 receptor to amplify signaling essential for productive infection. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2012; 109(19):E1163-72. Featured as ‘Editor's choice' in Science Signaling ‘A Gatekeeper of viral entry' Sci. Signal.,22 May 2012 Vol. 5, Issue 225, p. ec147; Highlighted as ‘Tumor virology: Entry requirements' Nature Rev Cancer: Nat Rev Cancer. 2012 Jun 22;12(7):450.