Roswell Park patients, caregivers, staff and volunteers invited to Open House, September 19-23
An oasis in the middle of a busy cancer center. A hub for information. A warm, welcoming space filled with knowledgeable staff and volunteers. That’s how Martha Hickey, the manager of the Resource Center within the Medical Concierge Services department at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center describes the new space within the hospital.
Most of all, The 11 Day Power Play Cancer Resource Center is a “soft place to land after a cancer diagnosis,” says Hickey.
The Resource Center is the place to go for patient education materials (printed and digital), to sign up for a non-clinical chemotherapy orientation, an introduction to the complimentary Wig and Head Covering program, to connect with a Cancer Coach, learn about other Roswell Park supportive and wellness offerings and much more.
For breast cancer survivor Mandy Berzer, the Resource Center team, which includes 15 dedicated volunteers, some of whom are current or former patients, provided support and encouragement throughout her journey. “They were always there for me when I needed to vent, have a good laugh or a good cry,” she says. “They were my dream team and offered practical solutions and comforting products during my treatment. When I had an unexpected inpatient stay, the Resource Center team brought me a bag of head coverings, lip balm, a beautiful shawl and other comfort items. When I decided I wanted to try using a cooling cap, the Resource Center was the place to go for education and a fitting.
New location, more space and additional services
Starting September 14, Roswell Park’s Resource Center will feature a brand-new name (to be announced at the grand re-opening ribbon cutting ceremony), a new location and expanded services for patients, caregivers, staff and patient family members.
The new and improved Resource Center will move out of the Sunflower Café to a more prominent location (still on the first floor) of the main hospital, near the Tower Elevators.
“The new space is two-and-a-half times the size of our previous space,” says Hickey. “In addition to our longtime offerings of education and informational literature for cancer patients and caregivers, comfort and inspirational items, a lending library, wig and head covering consultations, suggestions for cancer-related specialty products and services including those offered at our Elevate Salon, the larger space allows us to provide new features and services.” These include:
- Computer stations with privacy dividers and printers, where you can check your email, do research, set up and access your MyRoswell® patient portal, print out information and more. The Resource Center staff is always happy to assist you with this.
- Cell phone charging locker
- Living room ambiance, with a faux fireplace and comfortable seating for patients and caregivers to rest and regroup.
- A selection of comfort items, including port pillows, handmade blankets and hats from our community knitters.
- A new, private consultation room to meet with Resource Center staff, a social worker or a member of the Spiritual Care team. Expanded education room, with audio-visual equipment, available for seminars, such as a “Meet the Experts” series.
- Expanded chemotherapy/infusion and radiation orientations, available in small group or private one-on-one sessions.
- Art kits and proximity to the Art Heals Gallery.
- A calendar of wellness offerings, including on-site oncology massage and breath work sessions.
Never miss another Cancer Talk blog!
Sign up to receive our weekly Cancer Talk e-newsletter.Sign up!
Open house will showcase new center
If you have an appointment at Roswell Park the week of September 19 - 23, please stop in to see The 11 Day Power Play Cancer Resource Center, check out the new services and meet our supportive and caring team. Tour the space and learn about what we offer to be entered in a raffle to win one of more than 100 prizes.
The 11 Day Power Play Cancer Resource Center Open House: September 19-23
Location: First floor of the main hospital, near the Tower Elevators
Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Friday, 9 a.m.- 4 p.m.; Wednesday, 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.; Thursday, 7 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Open House activities include Alpha-Stim cranial electrotherapy stimulation, seated relaxation, massage, art activities and offerings from Life Recorded, the Young Adult program and Courage of Carly Fund.
Call: 716-845-8659 (press 1 for the Resource Center and 2 for Elevate Salon)