Lifestyle Program to Guide and Inspire Cancer Survivors
Roswell Park's Clinical Nutrition Department offers a 12-week Survivorship Healthy Lifestyle Program to guide and inspire cancer survivors who want to manage their weight and adopt a healthier lifestyle. Free of charge, the program will provide practical information about nutrition and exercise. The goal: to help you feel better and improve your quality of life through increased physical activity, better knowledge about nutrition, a healthier diet and greater skill in basic cooking techniques.
Classes will cover:
- Setting goals
- Nourishing your body with plant-based foods
- Right-size portions
- Meal planning and cooking techniques
- Grocery shopping and interpreting food labels
- Budget-friendly and time-saving recipes
- Snacking, eating on the go and eating out
- Healthy eating while traveling
- Red flags on fad diets
- Nutritional supplements
- Mindful eating
- How to reach and maintain a healthy weight (and what happens when you hit a plateau)
Each 90-minute class will include 30 minutes of physical activity instruction. Guest instructors will discuss stress management and sleep quality.
Classes will meet from 6-7:30 p.m. once a week for 12 weeks, from Wednesday, September 25, through Wednesday, December 18 (there will be no class on November 27), or on Tuesdays from 10-11:30 a.m. September 17 through December 17 (there will be no class on October 29 or November 26). Follow-up meetings will be held at six, nine and 12 months, for a total of 15 classes in all.
Class size is limited, so register early by calling 716-845-1300, ext. 4298.