Since arriving in Buffalo in 2002 my promotion of less invasive treatment options for patients helped our team of oncologists make the lung cancer program the busiest in upstate New York State. By achieving a very high reliability in performing minimally invasive operations for even complex tumors and by communicating these enabling techniques to other surgeons by annotated video productions, I have been rewarded with national and international recognition.
Because Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery (VATS) is minimally invasive and reduces pain and other stress related responses, there is a tendency for fewer complications, thus enabling faster recovery and expansion of surgical options for patients formerly too frail for traditional operations. Such techniques also allow patients to move on faster to other cancer treatments like chemotherapy.
My primary research interest, besides studying the outcome of advanced VATS techniques, focusses on the use of regional lung chemotherapeutics. Following completion of my medical degree from Jefferson Medical College, I completed a general surgery internship at Baylor College of Medicine followed by a residency and research fellowship in cardiothoracic and cardiovascular surgery at Allegheny General Hospital-West Campus, Medical College of Pennsylvania. I am the author or co-author of numerous articles in peer reviewed journals as well as book chapters and I present regularly at national and international professional meetings.
I have been named as a 'Top Doctor' in U.S. News and World Report, as well as one of 'Americas Top Doctors' in New York State. Supporting the Lung Cancer/Thoracic Oncology Program and working closely with experts across multi-disciplines, including surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, nurses and social workers, I provide patients with a comprehensive evaluation and help educate them about their disease so that they can make informed decisions about their treatment options.
- Demmy TL, Mayfield WR. Anvil extension technology in thoracic surgery. Annals of thoracic surgery2012; 934:1280-1284
- Yendamuri S, Demmy TL. Is VAMLA/TEMLA the new standard of preresection staging of non-small cell lung cancer?. Journal of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery 2012; 1443:S14-S17
- Nwogu CE, Groman A, Fahey D, Yendamuri S, Dexter E, Demmy TL, Miller A, Reid M. Number of lymph nodes and metastatic lymph node ratio are associated with survival in lung cancer. Annals of thoracic surgery 2012; 935:1614-1619; discussion 1619-1620
- Demmy TL, Gu L, Burkhalter JE, Toloza EM, D'Amico TA, Sutherland S, Wang X, Archer L, Veit LJ, Kohman L, the Cancer and Leukemia Group B. Optimal Management of Malignant Pleural Effusions (Results of CALGB 30102). Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network : JNCCN 2012; 108:975-982
- Yendamuri S, Caty L, Pine M, Adem S, Bogner P, Miller A, Demmy TL, Groman A, Reid M. Outcomes of sarcomatoid carcinoma of the lung: A Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results database analysis.Surgery 2012; 1523:397-402
- Smith R, Demmy TL. Pulmonary metastasectomy for soft tissue sarcoma. Surgical oncology clinics of North America 2012; 212:269-286
- Demmy TL, Yendamuri S, Hennon MW, Dexter EU, Picone AL, Nwogu C. Thoracoscopic maneuvers for chest wall resection and reconstruction. Journal of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery 2012;1443:S52-S57
- Yendamuri S , Gutierrez L , Oni A , Mashtare T , Khushalani N, Yang G , Nava H , Demmy T , Nwogu C.Does circular stapled esophagogastric anastomotic size affect the incidence of postoperative strictures?. Journal of surgical research 2011; 1651:1-4
- Yendamuri S, Gold D, Jayaprakash V, Dexter E, Nwogu C, Demmy T. Is sublobar resection sufficient for carcinoid tumors? . Annals of thoracic surgery 2011; 925:1774-1778; discussion 1778-9
- Yendamuri S, Demmy TL. Lobectomy for patients with limited lung function. Seminars in thoracic and cardiovascular surgery 2011; 233:191-195
- Kachare S, Dexter EU, Nwogu C, Demmy TL, Yendamuri S. Perioperative outcomes of thoracoscopic anatomic resections in patients with limited pulmonary reserve. Journal of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery 2011; 1412:459-462
- Jayaprakash V, Cheng C, Reid M, Dexter EU, Nwogu CE, Hicks W, Sullivan M, Demmy TL, Yendamuri S.Previous head and neck cancers portend poor prognoses in lung cancer patients. Annals of thoracic surgery 2011; 923:1056-1061
- Mallick R, Demmy T. Regional lung chemotherapy techniques. Innovations (Philadelphia, Pa.) 2011;61:1-9
- Hennon M, Sahai RK, Yendamuri S, Tan W, Demmy TL, Nwogu C. Safety of thoracoscopic lobectomy in locally advanced lung cancer. Annals of surgical oncology 2011; 1813:3732-3736
- Demmy TL, Platis IE, Nwogu C, Yendamuri S. Thoracoscopic extrapleural pneumonectomy for mesothelioma. Annals of thoracic surgery 2011; 912:616-618
- Bhaskarla A, Tang PC, Mashtare T, Nwogu CE, Demmy TL, Adjei AA, Reid ME, Yendamuri S. Analysis of second primary lung cancers in the SEER database. Journal of surgical research 2010; 1621:1-6
- Nwogu CE, Yendamuri S, Demmy TL. Does thoracoscopic pneumonectomy for lung cancer affect survival?. Annals of thoracic surgery 2010; 896:S2102-S2106
- Demmy TL, Nwogu CE, Yendamuri S. Thoracoscopic chest wall resection: what is its role?. Annals of thoracic surgery 2010; 896:S2142-S2145
- Ettinger DS , Krug LM , Le QT , Lennes IT , Martins R , Malley JO , Osarogiagbon RU , Otterson GA , Patel JD , Pisters KM , Reckamp K , Riely GJ , Rohren E , Swanson SJ , Wood DE , Kris MG , Kong FM , Akerley W , Bepler G , Blum MG , Chang A , Cheney RT , Chineac LR , Amico TAD , Demmy TL , Govindan R , Grannis FW , Jahan T , Johnson DH , Kessinger A , Komaki R , Yang SC. Thymic malignancies. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network : JNCCN 2010; 811:1302-1315
- Demmy TL, Nwogu C, Solan P, Yendamuri S, Wilding G, DeLeon O. Chest tube-delivered bupivacaine improves pain and decreases opioid use after thoracoscopy. Annals of thoracic surgery 2009;874:1040-1046; discussion 1046-1047
- Simpson-Abelson MR, Balu-Iyer S, Kelleher Jr RJ, Loyall JL, Yokota SJ, Demmy TL, Odunsi K, Iyer V, Pang WM, Purohit VS, Bankert RB. IL-12 delivered intratumorally by multilamellar liposomes reactivates memory T cells in human tumor microenvironments. Clinical immunology (Orlando, Fla.) 2009;1321:71-82
- Sahai RK, Nwogu CE, Yendamuri S, Tan W, Wilding GE, Demmy TL. Is thoracoscopic pneumonectomy safe?. Annals of thoracic surgery 2009; 884:1086-1092
- Yendamuri S, Nwogu CE, Demmy TL. Thoracoscopic lobectomy with chest wall resection after neoadjuvant therapy. Innovations (Philadelphia, Pa.) 2009; 41:36-38
- Demmy TL, Tomaszewski G, Dy GK, Yendamuri S, Nwogu C, Pendyala L, Ramnath N, Adjei AA.Thoracoscopic organ suffusion for regional lung chemotherapy (preliminary results). Annals of thoracic surgery 2009; 882:385-390; discussion 390-391
- Demmy TL, Nwogu C. Is video-assisted thoracic surgery lobectomy better? Quality of life considerations. Annals of thoracic surgery 2008; 852:S719-S728
- Ramnath N, Demmy TL, Antun A, Natarajan N, Nwogu CE, Loewen GM, Reid ME. Pneumonectomy for bronchogenic carcinoma: analysis of factors predicting survival. Annals of thoracic surgery 2007;835:1831-1836
- Demmy TL, Dunn KB. Surgical and nonsurgical therapy for lung metastasis: indications and outcomes.Surgical oncology clinics of North America 2007; 163:579-605, ix
- Gushchin V, Demmy TL, Kane JM 3rd. Surgical management of metastatic peritoneal or pleural disease.Seminars in oncology 2007; 343:215-225