After completing a PhD from the University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, India in Medicinal Chemistry, Dr. Pandey worked as a postdoctoral fellow and research associate in the laboratories of Professor Kevin M. Smith (University of California, Davis, 1980-1983 and 1984-1986) and the late Professor A. H. Jackson (University College Cardiff, Wales, 1983-1984) on the chemistry and biochemistry aspects of porphyrin-based compounds. He joined Oncologic Foundation of Buffalo in 1986 and was involved in a photodynamic therapy project related to Photofrin® research funded by Johnson & Johnson. In 1990 he left the Foundation and joined the Photodynamic Therapy Center, Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center, Buffalo, where he is currently associated as Distinguished Professor and Director of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Department of Cell Stress Biology. He also has an appointment as Professor with the Institute of Lasers, Photonics and Biophotonics, SUNY at Buffalo.
Dr. Pandey is a member of the editorial boards of the Journal of Porphyrins and Phthalocyanines, Current Organic Chemistry and Current Organic Synthesis. He is a founding member of the International Society of Porphyrins and Phthalocyanines. He has organized several national and international scientific symposiums and has delivered a large number of plenary and invited lectures all over the world on PDT and tumor imaging. He has received several awards including the Inventor of the Year Award (Niagara Frontier), the Rajiv Gandhi Award of Excellence, and “Who's Who in Science.” He has been a reviewer of research grants for various federal agencies (US, UK, Canada, Singapore, France) and private foundations. He has 30 patents to his credit and published over 200 research papers in various reputed international journals, as well as several review articles and book chapters. His research is well funded by national funding agencies and private organizations.
Dr. Pandey is also the founder of Photolitec, LLC, a biotech company. The goal of this organization is to develop cancer imaging and therapeutic agents and also to start clinical trials in developing countries.
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Professor and Distinguished Member, Cellular Stress Biology
- Director, Pharmaceutical Chemistry
State University of New York at Buffalo
- Research Professor
- Institute of Lasers, Photonics and Biophotonics
Education and Training:
- PhD - Medicinal Chemistry, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, India
- 1984-1986 - Postdoctoral Fellow & Research Associate - University of California, Davis
- 1983-1984 - Postdoctoral Fellow & Research Associate - University College Cardiff, Wales
- 1980-1983 - Postdoctoral Fellow & Research Associate - University of California, Davis
- Founding Member, International Society of Porphyrins and Phthalocyanines
- 1990-Present - Photodynamic Therapy Center, Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- 1986-1990 - Oncologic Foundation of Buffalo
Honors & Awards:
- Inventor of the Year Award, Niagara Frontier
- Rajiv Gandhi Award of Excellence