Reach farther. Make an impact. Help us cure cancer.
When you earn a Master’s degree in Cancer Sciences at Roswell Park, you’ll get hands-on experience in the latest oncology research and clinical studies in our world-class facilities. And that’s just the basics.
You'll also get one-on-one mentorship with world-renowned faculty. You’ll be part of a multidisciplinary care team, working directly with patients, physicians and specialists. You’ll work with experts in every cancer discipline, helping shape decisions that affect patient care and outcomes.
It’s a unique immersion opportunity you won’t find anywhere else. Make a name for yourself in Cancer Sciences at Roswell Park.
Fall Semester: Aug 30, 2021 – Dec 20, 2021
Feb 6, 2021
NOTE: Program dates are subject to change or cancellation due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Why get your Master’s at Roswell Park?
Whether you’re on your way to a PhD or looking towards a future in the biosciences industry, a Master of Science in Cancer Sciences degree from Roswell Park is your key to a great career.
Independent Research Projects
Mentorship and collaboration
World-class facilities and technology
If you’re interested in pursuing a PhD in Cancer Sciences through Roswell Park, our Master’s program is the perfect gateway, with a significant number of transferrable courses between programs. In fact, over the past three years, 100% of Roswell Park MS students who applied to our PhD program were accepted.
And don’t forget about the beauty of Buffalo – we’re the second-largest city in New York, and we have everything you need to feel right at home.
When you study at Roswell Park, you’ll work with investigators, physicians and technicians across multiple disciplines and specialties. Our Master’s students focus on lab-based research or prevention/epidemiology projects.
Curriculum/Program of Study
The Master of Science in Cancer Sciences degree requires only 30 credit hours. Most students graduate after two years – although you can complete your degree in just a year-and-a-half if sufficient research results are obtained.
Graduate training at Roswell Park is an academic collaboration with the University of Buffalo (UB).
- Integrated Cancer Sciences I/II (RPG 501/RPG 502) (4 credit hours each = 8 credit hours)
- Introduction to Medical Statistics (STA 527) (4 credit hours)
- Responsible Conduct of Research (RPG 504) (1 credit hour)
- Integrated Cancer Sciences III (RPG 503) (4 credit hours)
- Tools for Molecular Oncologists (RPG 543) (4 credit hours) – Laboratory Focus only
- Cancer Epidemiology (PTR 525) (3 credit hours) – Prevention Focus only
- Elective (3 credit hours)
- Scientific Communication Seminar (RPG 505) (1 credit hour)
- Research (RPG 512) (2 credit hours)
- Research (RPG 512) (2 credit hours)
- Research (2 credit hours)
With the guidance of a major professor/advisor from staff, you’ll do an independent research project within our labs and/or clinics. You’ll complete your research in a writer thesis and orally defend it.
Eligibility & Requirements
- A minimum undergraduate 3.0 GPA is required.
- Standardized academic test scores, such as general GRE results, are no longer required.
- English language proficiency test scores are required for international applicants.
Tuition & Fees
Tuition is $471 per credit for New York State residents and $962 per credit for non-residents, plus applicable University of Buffalo fees.
The curriculum is designed to maximize course enrollment in the first year, with only minimal enrollment in year two, which greatly reduces academic expenses.
How to Apply
For your application package, you’ll need:
- Online application form
- $75 application fee, payable electronically to SUNY at Buffalo on the online application form
- Undergraduate transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement/resume
Applications submitted prior to February 6, 2021 will be given priority for Fall 2021 admission. All application materials, including reference letters, must be received by that date for priority review.
Applications will be accepted after this date on a rolling basis depending on space availability. To inquire if space is still available, please contact email@example.com.