New Patient-Friendly Book Covers Bladder Cancer from A to Z
Never miss another Cancer Talk blog!
Sign up to receive our monthly Cancer Talk e-newsletter.
A patient-focused bladder cancer book developed at Roswell Park is now available to patients around the world through Amazon. Written in everyday language, with many illustrations throughout the text, A Patient’s Guide to Bladder Cancer was created to help patients, their families and caregivers understand the disease from diagnosis through treatment. It includes:
- “Your Bladder and Its Neighbors,” an illustration showing the location of the bladder in the body, the other organs around it, and a description of what each organ does
- A chapter about the causes of bladder cancer (“Why Is This Happening to Me?”)
- Clear explanations of the words used in a pathology report
- Detailed descriptions of bladder cancer treatments, including surgery, chemotherapy, and BCG, a medical treatment that is different from chemotherapy
- Helpful information about recovering after surgery, with sections on such topics as home care, physical rehabilitation and diet
Two years in the making, the book was produced by ATLAS, the Applied Technology Laboratory for Advanced Surgery at Roswell Park, drawing in part on questions and suggestions from bladder cancer patients. It was the brainchild of Khurshid Guru, MD, Chair of the Department of Urology, Director of Robotic Surgery and Director of ATLAS, who brought together a team of physicians, a medical illustrator and other experts to create the content.
Dr. Guru said his team decided to publish the bladder cancer book through Amazon, with an e-book option coming in the near future, to keep the cost low for patients. The book is also available in the Urology Center for new bladder cancer patients treated at Roswell Park.