Once your child finishes treatment, the next step is learning about life after cancer. At Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center, we care about your child’s well-being beyond treatment, and have a long-standing history of supporting cancer survivorship.
Whether you’re a parent whose child has just survived childhood cancer, or you’re a teen or young adult survivor, we offer specialized clinics for all. The resources in our survivorship care program help patients with:
- Lifestyle changes
- Complementary therapies
Our integrative medicine specialists also work with cancer survivors and offer acupuncture, aromatherapy and other holistic therapies to promote well-being.
Long-term follow-up clinic
Our Long-Term Follow-Up Clinic is one of the first of its kind in the nation. It was created to provide specialized medical care and counseling to former childhood cancer patients and help them build full, productive lives. Patients at the Long-Term Follow-Up Clinic benefit from Roswell Park’s comprehensive approach, which focuses on well-being for the patient’s mind, body and spirit.
As childhood cancer treatment has become more successful, there are more survivors who benefit from specialized follow-up care all the way through adolescence and adulthood. These survivors may have unique issues such as:
- Finding employment
- Getting insurance
- Seeking answers about fertility
- A chance of having cancer again later in life
At the Long-Term Follow-Up Clinic, we focus on education and preventive medicine to help our patients live their best, cancer-free lives.
The Long-Term Follow-Up Clinic offers:
- Office hours every week in the Katherine, Anne and Donna Gioia Pediatric Hematology-Oncology outpatient center. Young adult survivors of childhood cancer are seen in the Clinical Sciences Center 3rd floor Survivorship Clinic.
- A complete summary of the patient’s chemotherapy, surgery, radiation and other treatments.
- Screening and observing the patient in keeping with the guidelines issued by the Children’s Oncology Group for long-term follow-up care.
- Nutrition and psychosocial consultations, as well as occupational therapy and physical therapy, consults when needed.
- Referrals to specialists as needed.
Any childhood cancer survivor, no matter where his or her treatment was received, is welcome at the Roswell Park Long-Term Follow-Up Clinic. For more information, please call 716-845-4447 or 716-845-1300 x5583.