James Mohler, MD, joined Roswell Park in 2003 and is Associate Director and Senior Vice President for Translational Research, Chief, Inter-Institutional Academics, and Professor of Oncology, at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center, Professor of Urology at the University at Buffalo (UB) School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, and Adjunct Professor of Urology and Member of UNC-Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center at University of North Carolina.
Dr. Mohler earned his medical degree from the Medical College of Georgia and completed residency training in Surgery and Urology at the University of Kentucky Medical Center and a research fellowship in Urologic Oncology at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
Dr. Mohler is licensed by New York and North Carolina, a Diplomate of the National Board of Medical Examiners and the American Board of Urology, and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
Dr. Mohler was Chair of the NCCN Prostate Cancer Treatment Panel from 2005 to 2020, and a member of the NCCN Prostate Cancer Early Detection Panel from 2003 to 2020. He is a member of the American Medical Association, American Association for the Advancement of Science, American Association for Cancer Research, American Urological Association and American College of Surgeons. He has received the following notable awards: Thomas Thomasi, MD, PhD Hope Award (2011); Society for Basic Urologic Research Distinguished Service Award (2012); Appointment to the NCCN Board of Producers Award (2014); Distinguished Scholar Alumnus of the American Urological Association (2015); and NCCN Rodger Winn Foundation Award (2017).
Dr. Mohler’s clinical practice focuses upon prostate cancer and robot-assisted laparoscopic surgery. His laboratory focuses upon the role of androgen metabolism and the androgen receptor in racial differences in prostate cancer aggressiveness and prostate cancer recurrence during androgen deprivation therapy. He has authored or co-authored more than 300 publications and book chapters, and a book “Androgen Action in Prostate Cancer.” He serves on the editorial board of The Prostate, Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, Journal of Robotic Surgery, and Therapeutic Advances in Urology, and reviews for several journals including Cancer, Cancer Research, Clinical Cancer Research, Journal of Molecular Endocrinology, European Urology, Journal of Urology, New England Journal of Medicine, Oncogene, Nature Reviews Urology, Science Translational Medicine and Urology.
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Associate Director and Senior Vice President, Translational Research
- Chief, Inter-Institutional Academics
- Professor of Oncology
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University at Buffalo
- Professor of Urology
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Adjunct Professor of Urology
- Member, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center
Education and Training:
- MD - Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA
- Surgery and Urology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
- Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC
- Research Fellowship - Urologic Oncology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
- Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners
- American Board of Urology
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- 2005-2020 - Chair, NCCN Prostate Cancer Treatment Panel
- 2003-2020 - Member, NCCN Prostate Cancer Early Detection Panel
- American Medical Association
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American Urological Association
- American College of Surgeons
Honors & Awards:
- 2017 - NCCN Rodger Winn Foundation Award
- 2015 - Distinguished Scholar Alumnus of the American Urological Association
- 2014 - Appointment to the NCCN Board of Producers Award
- 2012 - Society for Basic Urologic Research Distinguished Service Award
- 2011 - Thomas Thomasi, MD, PhD Hope Award