Special Interests:Cancer prevention and control efforts among racial/ethnic minority populations Psychosocial and behavioral factors that influence minority health status Health outcomes related to chronic disease conditions
About Elisa Rodriguez
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Assistant Professor of Oncology
- Chief Diversity and Equity Officer for Faculty
- Director, Community Engagement Resource
- Department of Cancer Prevention & Control
Education and Training:
- 2008 - PhD - Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- 2003 - MS - University at Buffalo/Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center Division
- 2011-Present - American Association for Cancer Education (AACE)
- 2009-Present - Community-Campus Partnerships for Health (CCPH)
- 2008, 2010 - Western New York Public Health Alliance (WNYPHA) - University at Buffalo School of Public Health and Health Professions Organization Member (Associate Member, Non-Voting)
- 2006-Present - Southern Regional Education Board (SREB)
- 2005-Present - Community of Science (COS)
- 2004-Present - The American Public Health Association (APHA), Cancer Forum member
Dr. Rodriguez has training and research experience in the use of Community-Based Participatory Research (CBPR) approaches as applied to health behavior intervention efforts. She has worked on several CBPR research studies focusing on cancer educational intervention efforts in medically underserved communities.
Her research interests span the areas of social determinants and behavioral factors that influence racial/ethnic minority health status and health outcomes related to chronic disease conditions, as well as cancer prevention and control efforts among medically underserved populations. A common thread through all of her research interests is her commitment to addressing existing health disparities through innovative and collaborative research approaches that reach across disciplines and facilitate the translation and dissemination of findings into the community.
Featured on Cancer Talk
- Bowie JV, Wells AM, Juon H-S, Sydnor KS, Rodriguez EM. "How Old Are African American Women When They Receive Their First Mammogram? Results from a Church-Based Study." Journal of Community Health, 2008; 33(4):183-91.
- Rodriguez EM, Bowie JV, Frattaroli S, Gielen A. "A Qualitative Exploration of the Community Partner Experience in a Faith-Based Breast Cancer Educational Intervention." Health Education Research, 2009; 24(5):760-71.
- Deborah O Erwin, PhD; Michelle Treviño, MPH; Frances G Saad-Harfouche, MSW; Elisa Rodriguez, PhD; Elizabeth Gage, PhD; Lina Jandorf, MA. "Contextualizing Diversity and Culture within Cancer Control Interventions for Latinas: Changing Interventions, Not Cultures." Social Science & Medicine, 2010; 71(4):693-701.
- Heather M. Ochs-Balcom, Elisa M. Rodriguez, Deborah O. Erwin. "Establishing a community partnership to optimize recruitment of African American pedigrees for a genetic epidemiology study." Journal of Community Genetics, 2011;2(4):223-231.
- Kahn L, Pastore PA, Rodriguez EM, Tumiel-Berhalter L, Kelley M, Bartlett DP, Saunders EA, Fox CH. "A Community-Academic Partnership to Adapt a Curriculum for People with Serious Mental Illnesses and Diabetes." Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action in press.