Dr. Yau is a Buffalo Spree Top Doctor! See all of our physicians who made this year's list.
Specializing In:Lung Cancer
Special Interests:Personalized therapy in lung cancer Genomic profiling Therapeutic development for KRAS mutant solid tumors Functional genomic screens Drug discovery Biomarker assay development with ctDNA Epigenetics and epitranscriptomics Non-coding RNA (microRNAs and lncRNAs)
About Edwin Yau
I received a combined M.D. and PhD. Degree from the University at Buffalo. I then went on to UC San Diego in the physician-scientist training pathway for my residency and fellowship training where I also did a fellowship in Cancer Therapeutics Development, working in the lab of Tariq Rana on non-coding RNAs, RNA modifications, and large scale genomic screens using CRISPR-Cas9 in tumor xenografts. It is a privilege to return to Buffalo to serve patients and to join the research endeavor here at Roswell Park.
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Assistant Professor of Oncology
- Department of Medicine
- Department of Cancer Genetics & Genomics
Education and Training:
- 2002-2011 - MD - University at Buffalo
- 2002-2011 - PhD - University at Buffalo, Department of Pharmacology
- 2011-2013 - Internal Medicine, UC San Diego
- 2015-2017 - Cancer Therapeutics Training Program, UC San Diego
- 2013-2016 - Hematology/Oncology, UC San Diego
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
The lab is interested in early drug discovery using functional genomic screening. We have primarily been focusing on KRAS mutant solid tumors. Using a genome-wide CRISPR library, we have performed a large-scale screen directly in tumor xenografts harboring mutant KRAS and have identified a number of metabolic genes that are potential drug targets for KRAS mutant tumors. We have also identified a chromatin-remodeling complex subunit that may play a novel tumor suppressive role. We are interested in further drug discovery harnessing CRISPR screens. Other interests include biomarker assay development using CRISPR enzymes in ctDNA and elucidating epigenetic and epitranscriptomic contributions on cancer progression and resistance to therapy.
- Yau EH, Kummetha IR, Lichinchi G, Tang R, Zhang Y, Rana TM. Genome-Wide CRISPR Screen for Essential Cell Growth Mediators in Mutant KRAS Colorectal Cancers. Cancer Res. 2017 Nov 15;77(22):6330-6339. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-17-2043. Epub 2017 Sep 27. PMID: 28954733; PMCID: PMC5690866.
- Zhou Y, Dang J, Chang KY, Yau E, Aza-Blanc P, Moscat J, Rana TM. miR-1298 Inhibits Mutant KRAS-Driven Tumor Growth by Repressing FAK and LAMB3. Cancer Res. 2016 Oct 1;76(19):5777-5787. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-15-2936. PMID: 27698189; PMCID: PMC5155639.