The medical illustration internship at ATLAS provides an opportunity to use artistic skills and work with professional medical illustrators and medical experts in a healthcare setting. As an intern, you will join our diverse team of research scientists, physicians, surgeons, biostatisticians, engineers, data managers, and medical illustrators and use your skills to help communicate medical and scientific information to different audiences.
Apply for the ATLAS Medical Illustrator InternshipApply Now
The medical illustration intern must be open to critique and feedback from the Art Director and other members of the ATLAS Studios team. You may be asked to create patient education illustrations, surgical illustrations, animations or interactive media and figures for publication for the ATLAS Program, Urology Department, or ATLAS Studios projects.
Masters Students: This internship can be an opportunity to complete your thesis project. Please keep in mind that the project must be centered on an ATLAS project and is not guaranteed until thoroughly discussed and agreed upon with the ATLAS Director.
- At least one (1) year completed in a graduate medical illustration program (two years in an undergraduate program) or a combination of program(s) related to the field of biomedical communications
- Experience working with Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects
- Must have Adobe Creative Cloud account and access Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop
- Must understand basic design principles
- Must understand anatomy, physiology and biology
- Available 10 hours/week during spring and fall semesters within normal business hours (Mon-Fri 8 a.m.-6 p.m.)
- Available 10-20 hours/week during summer within normal business hours (Mon-Fri 8 a.m.-6 p.m.)
- This internship is open to remote work
Necessary for Application
- One reference (academic or professional)
- Cover letter
- Current CV or resume
- Digital portfolio/website link
- Knowledge of 3-D software (Cinema 4-D)
- Knowledge of 2-D and/or 3-D animation utilizing any of the previously mentioned software
- Completed a Gross Anatomy course with cadaver dissection
Job duties may include but are not limited to
- Medical/biomedical illustration for print and digital platforms
- Possible design of patient education apps and animations