Skip to main content
Why Roswell Park for Ovarian Cancer
- Our ovarian cancer team is headed by Kunle Odunsi, MD, PhD, FRCOG, FACOG, Chair of Gynecologic Oncology, and one of the most accomplished ovarian cancer experts in the world. A pioneer in cancer research, and Executive Director of the Center for Immunotherapy, Dr. Odunsi focuses on translating the latest scientific discoveries into new and more effective therapies for ovarian cancer patients today. His work led to the development of a treatment vaccine, adoptive T-Cell therapy, and oncolytic viral therapy for ovarian cancer. Dr. Odunsi also leads an Ovarian Cancer Specialized Program of Research Excellence (SPORE), a prestigious project funded by the National Cancer Institute.
- Ovarian cancer care that adheres to evidence-based guidelines set by the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN). Nationwide, less than half of women with ovarian cancers receive care according to national guidelines, affecting morbidity and mortality. Our physicians do more than follow NCCN guidelines; they help write them. Emese Zsiros, MD, PhD, FACOG, sits on the panel that creates and continually updates the guidelines for the treatment of ovarian, fallopian tube and primary peritoneal cancers.
- Nationally-recognized physicians who hold leadership roles in the Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Medicine, the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology and NRG Oncology, among others.
- Highly experienced team of gynecologic oncologists. All clinicians on our ovarian cancer team are board-certified or board-eligible gynecologic oncologists who undergo additional years of subspecialty training in GYN-specific oncology. Multiple studies show that patients who receive ovarian cancer surgery from gynecologic oncologists have more thorough and accurate staging surgery and better survival rates.
- High-volume surgical experience in laparoscopic, robot-assisted and complex gynecologic surgery, including radical debulking surgery that’s essential for regional chemotherapies. Complication rates are lowest in patients who receive their surgery from high-volume surgeons operating at high-volume hospitals.
- Latest immunotherapy options including cellular therapies, vaccines, oncolytic viral therapy and immune checkpoint inhibitors. Roswell Park was selected as an Ovarian Cancer Specialized Program of Research Excellence (SPORE) funded by the National Cancer Institute to focus on developing immune-based treatments for ovarian cancer.
- Regional chemotherapy approaches including intraperitoneal chemotherapy (IP) and hyperthermic Intraperitoneal chemoperfusion (HIPEC) — and the experience and expertise to perform them safely and effectively.
- Personalized medicine based on advanced genomic testing and immune analysis of each tumor to determine which targeted therapies and immunotherapies would offer the best response for each patient. We use a variety of genomic testing approaches, including OmniSeq Comprehensive™ and Immune Report Card,™ two cutting-edge tests developed at Roswell Park.
- Conveniently-located satellite treatment centers and community practices in Amherst, Niagara Falls, Jamestown and West Seneca, NY to provide patients across the region easier access to our specialists, treatments and clinical trials.
- Onco-Fertility program that provides information about how fertility and intimacy may be affected by ovarian cancer treatment and options for fertility preservation and improving sexual health.
- Women’s Sexual Health Clinic led by gynecologic oncologist, Melissa Moffitt, MD, to address cancer and treatment side effects that impact ability to interact intimately.
- Holistic and comprehensive supportive care to surround you and your family from day one. Our programs include art and pet therapy, acupuncture, yoga, massage, meditation, mindfulness, healing touch, Reiki, pastoral care, patient retreats, support groups and a resource center for education materials, hats, wigs and more.
- Survivorship Center, specifically for patients who have completed active treatment, provides medical and supportive services to meet the unique needs of cancer survivors as they face forward and aim for a higher level of life-long wellness.