Our World-Class Team
Our ovarian cancer team is headed by Peter Frederick, MD, FACOG, Clinical Chief of Gynecologic Oncology. During his tenure at Roswell Park, Dr. Frederick has been integral in developing and promoting the gynecologic robotics program and training surgeons in these techniques. In addition, he also serves as Associate Dean of Graduate Medical Education.
- Nationally-recognized physicians who hold leadership roles in the Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Medicine, the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology and NRG Oncology, among others.
- Highly experienced team of gynecologic oncologists. All clinicians on our ovarian cancer team are board-certified or board-eligible gynecologic oncologists who undergo additional years of subspecialty training in GYN-specific oncology. Studies show that patients who receive ovarian cancer surgery from gynecologic oncologists have more thorough and accurate staging surgery and better survival rates.
Our Quality Cancer Care
- Ovarian cancer care according to evidence-based guidelines set by the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN). Nationwide, less than half of women with ovarian cancers receive care according to national guidelines, affecting their outcomes. Our physicians do more than follow NCCN guidelines; they help write them. Emese Zsiros, MD, PhD, FACOG, sits on the panel that creates the guidelines for the treatment of ovarian, fallopian tube and primary peritoneal cancers.
- High-volume surgical experience in laparoscopic, robot-assisted and complex gynecologic surgery, including radical debulking surgery that’s essential for regional chemotherapy. Complication rates are lowest in patients who receive their surgery from high-volume surgeons operating at high-volume hospitals.
Our Cutting-Edge Therapies
- Latest immunotherapy options including cellular therapies, vaccines, oncolytic viral therapy and immune checkpoint inhibitors. Roswell Park was selected as an Ovarian Cancer Specialized Program of Research Excellence (SPORE) funded by the National Cancer Institute to focus on developing immune-based treatments for ovarian cancer.
- Regional chemotherapy approaches including intraperitoneal chemotherapy (IP) and hyperthermic Intraperitoneal chemoperfusion (HIPEC) — and the experience and expertise to perform them safely and effectively.
- Personalized medicine based on advanced genomic testing and immune analysis of each tumor to determine which targeted therapies and immunotherapies would offer the best response for each patient. We use a variety of genomic testing approaches, including OmniSeq Comprehensive™ and Immune Report Card,™ two cutting-edge tests developed at Roswell Park.
Comprehensive Care for the Whole Person
- Onco-Fertility Program that provides information about how fertility and intimacy may be affected by ovarian cancer treatment and options for fertility preservation.
- Sexual Health Clinic to address cancer and treatment side effects that impact ability to interact intimately.
- Holistic and Supportive Care to surround you and your family from day one. Our programs include art and pet therapy, acupuncture, yoga, massage, meditation, Reiki, spiritual care, patient retreats, support groups and a resource center for education materials, hats, wigs and more.
- Survivorship Center, specifically for patients who have completed active treatment, provides medical and supportive services to meet the unique needs of cancer survivors as they face forward and aim for a higher level of life-long wellness.
Easy Access to Care
- Conveniently-located satellite treatment centers and community practices in Amherst, Niagara Falls, Jamestown and Orchard Park, NY to provide patients across the region easier access to our specialists, treatments and clinical trials.