Mediastinal Treatments at Roswell Park
Treatment for mediastinal tumors depends on the type and stage of the tumor. In general,
- Surgery is used to treat thymic cancers. It may be followed by radiation or chemotherapy, depending on the stage of the tumor and the success of the surgery.
- Germ cell tumors are usually treated with chemotherapy. However, surgery may be needed after the chemotherapy.
- For lymphomas, chemotherapy and possible radiation is the treatment of choice.
- For neurogenic tumors, surgery is the most effective treatment.
- Clinical research studies are also a viable option for more than 50 percent of patients.