Treatment for mediastinal tumors depends on the type and stage of the tumor. In general,
Minimally invasive surgery techniques used by Dr. Nwogu and members of the thoracic team offer Roswell Park patients extensive benefits in cancer care.
- Surgery is used to treat thymic cancers. It may be followed by radiation or chemotherapy, depending on the stage of the tumor and the success of the surgery.
- Germ cell tumors are usually treated with chemotherapy. However, surgery may be needed after the chemotherapy.
- For lymphomas, chemotherapy and possible radiation is the treatment of choice.
- For neurogenic tumors, surgery is the most effective treatment.
- Clinical research studies are also a viable option for more than 50 percent of patients.