Dr. Edge is a Buffalo Spree Top Doctor! See all of our physicians who made this year's list.
Research Interests:Diagnosis, staging and treatment of breast cancer Health services research, including how cancer care is delivered Mechanisms to evaluate and improve cancer care and outcomes
About Stephen B. Edge
I was raised in Chicago, IL. I attended medical school and trained in surgery at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. After a fellowship in surgical oncology at the National Cancer Institute, I was an Assistant Professor of Surgery and Surgical Oncology at the University of Virginia. In 1992, I came to Roswell Park where I served as Chief of the Breast Service, and Professor of Oncology and Professor of Surgery at the Univeristy at Buffalo.
In April 2016, following a three-year appointment as Cancer Center Director at Baptist Cancer Center in Memphis, TN, I returned to Roswell Park in a new role within the Roswell Park administration and the Departments of Surgical Oncology and Cancer Prevention and Control. In addition to my breast cancer practice, I direct programs in quality monitoring and improvement at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Roswell Park Care Network of Roswell-affiliated practices across New York State. In this role I lead a team in the Pathways Department at Roswell Park and its affiliate network to assess and improve the quality of care throughout the Roswell system.
At Roswell Park, I'm active in breast cancer research, techniques of surgery and sentinel lymph node biopsy. I'm also active in efforts to define and improve the quality of cancer care for breast and other types of cancer. My work involves research with large cancer registry programs and linking those registries to other sources of cancer treatment information. I have served in a number of leadership roles in national cancer ogranization including as Chair of the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons and teh Board of Directors of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. Currently I serve on the Executive Committee of the American Joint Committee on Cancer, the Board of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, and as Chair of the Value in Cancer Care Committee of the national research group, the Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology.
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Professor of Oncology
- Department of Surgical Oncology
- Vice President for System Quality and Outcomes
- Department of Cancer Prevention and Control
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University at Buffalo
- Professor of Surgery
Education and Training:
- 1975-1979 - MD - Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
- 1971-1975 - BA - Biology, Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts
- 1979-1981; 1984-1986 - Surgery, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
- 1981-1984 - Clinical Associate, Surgery Branch, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland
- Surgery, American Board of Surgery
Featured on Cancer Talk
Showing all3 of 6 CollapseView all
- Edge SB, Hortobagyi GN, Giuliano AE. New and important changes in breast cancer TNM: incorporation of biologic factors into staging. . Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2019 Apr;19(4):309-318. doi: 10.1080/14737140.2019.1582335. Epub 2019 Feb 26
- Daly B, Page R, Edge SB, et al. ASCO Report on the Oncology Clinical Pathways Market Landscape. J Oncol Pract 2018;14(3):e194-e200 Epub 2018 Feb 7 PMID 29412768.
- Zon RT, Edge SB, Page RD, Frame JN, Lyman GH, Omel JL, Wollins DS, Green SR, Bosserman LD. American Society of Clinical Oncology Criteria for High-Qualtiy Clinical Pathways in Oncology. J Oncol Pract. 2017;13(3):207-210. PID 28282276
- Neuss M, Rocque G, Zuckerman D, Chiang A, Katta S, Wollins D, Kamin D, Edge S. Establishing a core set of performance meausres to improve value in cancer care: ASCO Consensus Conference Recommendation Report. J Oncol Prac 2017;13(2):135-140. PMID 28029299.
- Mallin I, Palis BE, Watroba N, Stewart AK, Walczak D, Singer J, Barron J, Blumenthal W, Haudy G, Edge SB. Completeness of American cancer registry treatment data: Implications for quality of care research. J Am Coll Surg 2013;216(3):428-437. Epub Jan 26. PMID 23357724.