Cell growth and proliferation are both necessary for successful immune reactions and dysregulated in many types of hematological malignancies. For cells to grow and proliferate, dramatic changes in the translation of mRNA to protein must occur.
My lab studies how cell extrinsic signals, such as growth factors or nutrient availability, regulate the process of mRNA translation to facilitate growth and proliferation of normal and malignant immune cells. By gaining insight into the highly regulated process of protein production in normal and malignant cells, we hope to uncover novel opportunities for therapeutic intervention that will preferentially target cancer cells.
- La Rocca, G.*, Olejniczak, S.H.*, Gonzalez A.J., Briskin D., Vidigal J.A., Spraggon L., DeMatteo, R.G., Radler, M.R., Lindsten, T., Ventura, A., Tuschl, T., Leslie, C.S., and Thompson, C.B. In vivo, Argonaute-bound microRNAs exist predominantly in a reservoir of low molecular weight complexes not associated with mRNA. 2015 Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. Jan 20;112(3):767-72. *co-first authors.
- Olejniczak, S.H.*, La Rocca, G.*, Gruber, J.J., and Thompson, C.B. Long-lived microRNA-Argonaute complexes in quiescent cells can be activated to regulate mitogenic responses. 2013 Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. Jan 2;110(1):157-62. *co-first authors.
- Gruber, J.J.*, Olejniczak, S.H.*, Yong, J., La Rocca, G., Dreyfuss, G., and Thompson, C.B. Ars2 promotes proper replication-dependent histone mRNA 3’ end formation. 2012 Mol Cell. Jan 13;45(1):87-98. *co-first authors.
- Olejniczak, S.H., Blickwedehl, J., Belicha, A., Bangia, N., Hernandez-Ilizaliturri, F.J., Clements, J.L., and Czuczman, M.S. Distinct molecular mechanisms responsible for bortezomib-induced death of therapy-resistant versus -sensitive B-NHL cells. 2010 Blood. Dec 16;116(25):5605-14.
- Olejniczak, S.H., Hernandez-Ilizaliturri, F., Clements, J.L., and Czuczman, M.S. Acquired Resistance to Rituximab Is Associated with Chemotherapy Resistance Resulting From Decreased Bax and Bak Expression. 2008 Clin Cancer Res. Mar 1;14(5):1550-60.