Specializing In:Targeted therapy Molecular Diagnostics Translational Medicine
Research Interests:FLT3 mutated AML Therapeutic Resistance Epigenetics
About Pamela Sung
I joined the faculty at Roswell Park in July 2021 with a dual appointment in the Department of Medicine and Department of Pharmacology & Therapeutics. I am a physician-scientist in the field of leukemia biology. I completed my MD/PhD at New York University and my clinical and post-doctoral training at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. I treat patients with bone marrow cancers (AML, ALL, CML, MDS, and MPNs) and non-malignant blood disorders. My laboratory focuses on FLT3 mutated AML and improving responses to targeted therapy.
- Assistant Professor of Oncology
- Department of Medicine - Leukemia
- Department of Pharmacology & Therapeutics
Education and Training:
- 2012 - MD - Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY
- 2010 - PhD - Cell and Molecular Biology, New York University, New York, NY
- 2004 - BA - Biology and Chemistry, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- 2012-2014 - Internal Medicine Research Pathway, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- 2014-2018 - Hematology/Oncology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Internal Medicine
- Medical Oncology
- American Society of Hematology
- American Association for Cancer Research
- 2019-2021 - Instructor of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- 2018-2019 - Measey Physician Scientist-Fellow, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Honors & Awards:
- 2019 - Special Fellow Award, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
- 2017 - Research Training Award for Fellows, American Society of Hematology
- 2017 - Future Leaders Award for Clinical Research in Hematology, Celgene Corporation
Martinez-Gutierrez LN, Burgher BC, Glynias MJ, Alvarado D, Griffiths EA, Glenn ST, Sung PJ. Evaluation of hypereosinophilia in a case of FLT3-mutant acute myeloid leukemia treated with gilteritinib. Cold Spring Harb Mol Case Stud. 2023 Jun;9(3). PubMed PMID: 37433680.
Sung PJ, Sugita M, Koblish H, Perl AE, Carroll M. Hematopoietic cytokines mediate resistance to targeted therapy in FLT3-ITD acute myeloid leukemia. Blood Advances. 2019 Apr 9;3(7):1061-1072. PubMed PMID: 30944098.
Sung PJ and Luger SM. Minimal residual disease in acute myeloid leukemia. Curr. Treat. Options in Oncol. 2017 Jan;18(1):1-14. PubMed PMID: 28110381.
Sung PJ, Tsai FD, Vais H, Court H, Yang J, Fehrenbacher N, Foskett JK, Philips MR. Phosphorylated K-Ras limits cell survival by blocking Bcl-xL sensitization of inositol trisphosphate receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Dec 17;110(51):20593-8. PubMed PMID: 24297914; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3870738.
Sung PJ, Rodrigues AB, Kleinberger A, Quatela S, Bach EA, Philips MR. Cytosolic Ras supports eye development in Drosophila. Mol Cell Biol. 2010 Dec;30(24):5649-57. PubMed PMID: 20937772; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3004281.