Dr. Barth is a Buffalo Spree Top Doctor! See all of our physicians who made this year's list.
Specializing In:Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
Special Interests:Pediatric lymphoma Pediatric leukemia
About Matthew Barth
My name is Dr. Matthew Barth and I’m a pediatric hematologist and oncologist at Roswell Park. I care for patients with all types of pediatric hematology and oncology diagnoses; however, I primarily focus on pediatric leukemia and lymphoma patients with a specialty in non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
My clinical and laboratory research and expertise center on targeted therapies for lymphomas. This research has also given me a strong background in genomic medicine programs, which I use to coordinate genomic testing for our pediatric patients leading to a targeted care plan.
I have a research lab where I perform experiments aimed at understanding mechanisms of action of new agents for treating pediatric lymphomas. My research has been supported through a Buswell Fellowship, St. Baldrick’s Foundation Scholar Award, and the Hyundai Hope on Wheels Foundation. I also participate in the development of clinical trials testing new targeted therapies in children with non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
Along with my clinical and research roles, I’m also an Assistant Professor in Pediatrics at the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York at Buffalo, and an attending physician in the Division of Hematology/Oncology in Pediatrics at the Oishei Children’s Hospital. In this role, I oversee the training of medical students, residents and fellows training in pediatrics and pediatric hematology and oncology.
I earned my medical degree from the State University of New York Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, NY. I completed both my residency in pediatrics and my fellowship in pediatric hematology/oncology at the University at Buffalo in Buffalo, NY. I am board certified in both general pediatrics and pediatric hematology and oncology.
My research articles have been published in various medical journals and I have presented my research at many national and international oncology conferences, as well as presenting to institutions about the latest treatments, therapies and medicines in pediatric hematology and oncology.
I serve on the Children’s Oncology Group’s Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Committee, and have participated in the Children’s Oncology Group Young Investigator Mentoring Program. I also review manuscripts for the Journal of Leukemia and Lymphoma, PLoS One, Journal of Pediatrics, Pediatric Hematology and Oncology and Pediatric Blood and Cancer.
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
- Department of Pediatric Oncology
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York at Buffalo
- Clinical Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Education and Training:
- 2005 - MD - State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY
- Women & Children’s Hospital of Buffalo, Buffalo, NY
- Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center, Buffalo NY
- Women & Children’s Hospital of Buffalo, Buffalo, NY
- General Pediatrics, American Board of Pediatrics
- Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, American Board of Pediatrics
- The American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Society of Hematology
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- The Children’s Oncology Group
- International Society of Paediatric Oncology
Honors & Awards:
- 2012-2017 - Loan Repayment Program Award, National Institutes of Health
- 2016 - Young Investigator Award, 48th Annual Congress of the International Society of Pediatric Oncology
- 2015 - Outstanding Translational Biology Research in Childhood, Adolescent and Young Adult non-Hodgkin Lymphoma, 5th International Symposium on Childhood, Adolescent and Young Adult Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
- 2011 - Henry C. and Bertha H. Buswell Research Fellowship, Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York at Buffalo
- 2011 - Best Basic Science Fellow Research Report, Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- 2011 - Thomas F. Frawley, MD Residency Research Fellowship, Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York at Buffalo
- 2011 - Travel Award, 11th International Conference on Malignant Lymphoma
- Czuczman NM, Barth MJ, Gu J, Neppalli V, Mavis C, Frys SE, Hu Q, Liu S, Klener P, Vockova P, Czuczman MS, Hernandez-Ilizaliturri FJ. Pevonedistat, a NEDD8-activating enzyme inhibitor, is active in mantle cell lymphoma and enhances rituximab activity in vivo. Blood. 2016 Mar 3;127(9):1128-37. doi: 10.1182/blood-2015-04-640920. Epub 2015 Dec 16. PMID: 26675347; PMCID: PMC4778163.
- Barth MJ, Mavis C, Czuczman MS, Hernandez-Ilizaliturri FJ. Ofatumumab Exhibits Enhanced In Vitro and In Vivo Activity Compared to Rituximab in Preclinical Models of Mantle Cell Lymphoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2015 Oct 1;21(19):4391-7. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-15-0056. Epub 2015 May 11. PMID: 25964296; PMCID: PMC5685505.
- Barth MJ, Chu Y, Hanley PJ, Cairo MS. Immunotherapeutic approaches for the treatment of childhood, adolescent and young adult non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Br J Haematol. 2016 May;173(4):597-616. doi: 10.1111/bjh.14078. Epub 2016 Apr 7. PMID: 27062282.
- Barth MJ, Goldman S, Smith L, Perkins S, Shiramizu B, Gross TG, Harrison L, Sanger W, Geyer MB, Giulino-Roth L, Cairo MS. Rituximab pharmacokinetics in children and adolescents with de novo intermediate and advanced mature B-cell lymphoma/leukaemia: a Children's Oncology Group report. Br J Haematol. 2013 Sep;162(5):678-83. doi: 10.1111/bjh.12434. Epub 2013 Jun 27. PMID: 23802659; PMCID: PMC3745786.
- Barth MJ, Hernandez-Ilizaliturri FJ, Mavis C, Tsai PC, Gibbs JF, Deeb G, Czuczman MS. Ofatumumab Demonstrates Activity Against Rituximab Sensitive and Resistant Cell Lines, Lymphoma Xenografts and Primary Tumor Cells From Patients With B-cell Lymphoma. Br J Haematol. 2012 Feb;156(4):490-8. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2141.2011.08966.x. Epub 2011 Dec 9. PMID: 22150234.
- Alrazzak M, Beaupin LK, Kinyoun P, Barth M. The incidence of hypersensitivity reactions to pegylated asparaginase in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a city-wide experience. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2016 Jan;38(1):e16-20. doi: 10.1097/MPH.0000000000000465. PMID: 26558809.