Specializing In:Medical Informatics Electronic health records Patient engagement Patient portals
About Lauren Bruckner
I have practiced pediatric hematology, oncology and hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in Upstate New York for the past 20 years. In 2009, I also became a leader championing approaches to enhance patient engagement and digital health. My aspiration is to create optimal patient and clinician health IT experiences and to affect the highest standards for patient safety, clinical outcomes, and systems effectiveness and efficiency.
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Professor of Oncology
- Chief Medical Information Officer
- Department of Pediatric Oncology
Education and Training:
- 1996 - MD - Medicine, State University of New York at Upstate Medical Center, Syracuse, NY
- 1996 - PhD - Microbiology & Immunology, State University of New York at Upstate Medical Center, Syracuse, NY
- 1996-99 - Pediatrics, University of Rochester Medical School, Rochester, NY
- 1999-2001 - Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, University of Rochester Medical School, Rochester, NY
- American Board of Preventive Medicine Clinical Informatics
- American Board of Pediatrics, Pediatric Hematology-Oncology
- American Board of Pediatrics
- Academy Health, member of Learning Health System and Health IT Interest Groups
- American Medical Informatics Association
- Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplantation Consortium Supportive Care Strategy Group
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Society of Hematology
- American Academy of Pediatrics
Honors & Awards:
- 2019 Meliora Award (University of Rochester Medical Center): “Encourages ever better performance, recognizing excellence for positive contributions and attributes.” Presented to the GCH 7 North Unit-Based Performance Program Team (Bruckner co-led) for CLA
- 2007 - Ruth A Lawrence Academic Faculty Service Award in Clinical Services
- 2007 - “America’s Top Pediatricians 2007” by Consumers’ Research Council of America
My early research focused on clinical pediatric oncology, particularly adolescent and young adult cancer survivorship, with the goal to improve long-term outcomes of patients who underwent hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Over the past decade, my research has focused more on patient engagement and clinical informatics, to optimize the use of the EHR and to encourage patients to be more actively involved in their health and care.
1. Andolina JR; Reinish AL; Akhtar R; Noronha S; Shand JC; Girvin A; Korones DN; Bruckner LB; Mullen CA Curran KJ; Boulad F. "Successful reduced-intensity conditioning hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria with aplastic anemia in two children." Pediatric blood & cancer. 2018; 65(8):e27218.
2. Nancy K. Termer, Margie Richardson, M Jacob Adams, Alexander Alongi, Patricia Bellohusen, Lauren B. Bruckner, Richard Cowen, Susan Fritsch, Dwight Hettler, Sarah L. Kerns, Chintan Pandya, AnnaLynn Williams, Louis S. Constine. "Meeting requirement for survivorship visits: Interventions for patient identification" Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2018; 36(7): 59.
3. Kerry Schaffer, Narm Panneerselvam, Kah Poh Loh, Rachel Herrmann, Ian Kleckner, Richard Francis Dunne, Po-Ju Lin, Charles E. Heckler, Lauren B. Bruckner, Eugene Storozynsky, Bonnie Ky, Supriya Gupta Mohile, Karen Michelle Mustian, and Chunkit Fung. "A systematic review of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) of exercise interventions using digital activity trackers (E-DAT) in cancer patients." Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2018; 36:7_suppl(7): 108.
4. Constine, L.S.; Termer, N.K.; Holub, D.; Fung, C.; Adams, J.M.; Dhakal, S.; Bruckner, L.B.; Marsh, B.; Kerns, S.L.; Noyes, K.; Williams, A.; Fritsch, S.; Lustig, C.; Lynch, C.; Nelson, S.; Menchel, H.L.; Sahler, O.J.; Milano, M.T.; Galka, E.; Shayne, M. An integrative approach to personalized cancer survivorship care at an academic medical center. ASCO Cancer Survivorship Symposium. J Clin Oncol 35, 2017 (suppl 5S; abstr 37)
5. Fung, C.; Peckham, J; Porto, M.; Lin, P; Sahasrabudhe, D.; Guancial, E.; Ky, B.; Storozynsky, E.; Janelsins,M.; Heckler, C.; Bruckner, L.; Mohile, S.; Mustian K. Feasibility of an Electronic Implementation Method of an Evidence Based Exercise Intervention among Testicular Cancer Survivors (TCS). ASCO Cancer Survivorship Symposium. J Clin Oncol 35, 2017 (suppl 5S; abstr 161)