Professor of Oncology
Clinical Chief of Molecular Pathology
Roswell Park Cancer Institute
Chief Medical Officer
Areas of Expertise:
Laboratory regulatory oversight
Laboratory and professional services coding and reimbursement
Education and Training:
1984 - MD - University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, NY
1978 - PhD - Biophysics - University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
1988 - Anatomic and Clinical Pathology – Strong Memorial Hospital, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY
2003 - Molecular Genetic Pathology
1988 - Anatomic and Clinical Pathology
College of American Pathologists
American Medical Association
American Society of Clinical Pathologists
United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
American Association for the Advancement of Science
Association for Molecular Pathology
Honors and Awards:
2013 - Association for Molecular Pathology Leadership Award
2008-2015 - Medical Director - Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory, NorthShore University HealthSystem, Evanston, IL
2005-2008 - Medical Director - ACL Illinois Central Laboratory, ACL Laboratories, Rosemont, IL
- Morrison, C, D Trump, and JA Nowak, How will the $1,000 Genome meet reality (and CMS)?, Arch Pathol Lab Med, accepted for publication, 2014.
- Nakhleh, RE and JA Nowak, Mining formalin fixed, paraffin embedded tissues: a wealth of knowledge or fools' gold?, Arch Pathol Lab Med, 138:1426-1427 (2014).
- Ferreira-Gonzalez, A, et al, Revisiting oversight and regulation of molecular-based laboratory-developed tests: a position statement of the Association for Molecular Pathology, J Mol Diagn 16(1):3-6 (2014).
- Rubin, EH, et al, Developing precision medicine in a global world, Clin Cancer Res 20(6):1419-1427 (2014).
- Funkhouser, WK et al. Relevance, pathogenesis, and testing algorithm for mismatch repair-defective colorectal carcinomas: a report of the Association for Molecular Pathology, J Mol Diagn 14(2):91-103 (2012).