Formal coursework is supplemented by a challenging and stimulating schedule of programs that includes weekly didactic lectures or case discussions, weekly preoperative teaching conference, quarterly mock oral examinations, twice yearly cadaver labs and multiple robust multidisciplinary conferences per week.
All fellows annually complete two academic projects for national presentation and peer-reviewed publication. Interested fellows may participate in Roswell Park’s Scientific Review Committee for protocol development and Institutional Review Board.
Approved by the Society of Surgical Oncology and ACGME
- 20 clinical months comprised of three-month block rotations in the major disciplines of Surgical Oncology.
- Upper GI, Lower GI, Hepatobiliary, Melanoma/Sarcoma, Endocrine
- Two months rotation in Medical Oncology and one month of Radiation Oncology, Palliative Care and Pathology.
- One month of electives for clinical and/or research, during which fellows may further their experience in one of the major disciplines; or pursue subspecialty electives in Head and Neck, Endoscopy, Urologic Oncology, Thoracic or Gynecologic Oncology.
- Four months of dedicated research time, broken into one month blocks, spread throughout the two year program. Extensive opportunities and support are available to clinical fellows in all scientific and clinical research studies.
Trainee lecture series
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center sponsors a Trainee Lecture Series of weekly conferences attended by clinical and research students, residents and fellows in Medical Oncology, Radiation Oncology, Pathology and Surgical Oncology. It is open to trainees of all other disciplines as well. This survey course addresses issues ranging from ethics to molecular biology and is arranged to cover specific topics on a yearly cycle. Modules of lectures are devoted to developmental therapeutics, immunology, molecular biology, epidemiology and population sciences, clinical trial design and statistics, and other oncology-related topics. Approximately 80 weekly lectures are held during a two-year cycle.
The Trainee Lecture Series has become an important part of the educational environment for clinical trainees and research students at Roswell Park and is well attended. It also provides another forum for clinical trainees from different specialty areas to interact with each other in an intellectually collaborative arena.