A cancer diagnosis — and the treatment that follows — can be overwhelming. While you may have the support of your family, friends, doctors and care team, it’s easy to feel alone in this situation. You may be looking for inspiration to help you get through it. We asked our network of survivors and Facebook followers to share any inspirational quotes that helped them stay strong and hopeful during treatment. Here are 10 of our favorites.
1. Rachel shared her husband's reference to boxing:
"My husband would always tell his mom, 'Just keep punching,' and 'Whenever the opponent hits you, get up and hit back harder.' It gave her such a focus, and every time cancer knocked her down, she'd do her best to bounce back up and punch back. She repeated it so often that it was her mantra."
2. Jennifer shared this presidential quote:
"Believe you can, and you're halfway there." — President Theodore Roosevelt
3. Maureen's quote reminds you to worry about only what you can control:
"We can't always choose the music life plays for us, but we can choose how we dance to it." — Unknown
4. Diane's quote emphasizes that cancer doesn't define you:
"We may have cancer, but cancer doesn't have us." — Unknown
5. Albert encourages you to keep believing:
"Keep the faith— faith in God, faith in your doctors, faith in yourself. One day at a time."
6. Angela wants you to believe in yourself:
"She believed she could, so she did." — R.S. Grey
Never miss another Cancer Talk blog!
Sign up to receive our monthly Cancer Talk e-newsletter.Sign up!
7. Shannon says this quote helped her find meaning in her cancer diagnosis:
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." — Friedrich Nietzsche
8. Jennifer shared a quote to remind you that you are special:
"Don't look for miracles, you yourself are a miracle" — Henry Miller
9. JR points out that your cancer journey is a marathon, not a sprint:
"Run when you can. Walk if you have to. Crawl if you must. But never give up." — Dean Karnazes
10. Finally, Erin shared this quote from one of her favorite childhood characters:
"Always remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, smarter than you think and loved more than you know." — Christopher Robin
Click here to see all of the responses on the Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center Facebook page.