If you or someone you love is diagnosed with cancer, you probably have a lot of questions. However, it’s easy to get tongue-tied while processing the overflow of new information.
To help you maintain open and honest communication with your cancer care team, we’ve compiled a list of important questions to ask your doctor.
These questions will help you better understand your diagnosis and what to expect going forward.
Questions About the Cancer
- What type of cancer do I have?
- Can you explain my test results to me?
- Will I need more tests before treatment begins?
- What is the stage of my cancer?
- Has my cancer spread to other areas of my body?
- What is my chance of recovery?
- How will cancer and its treatment affect my body?
Questions About Finding a Specialist and Getting a Second Opinion
- How do I decide where to go for treatment?
- Will I need a specialist(s) for my cancer treatment?
- Will you help me find a doctor to give me another opinion on the best treatment plan for me?
Questions About Clinical Trials
- Would a clinical trial (research study) be right for me?
- How do I find out about studies for my type and stage of cancer?
Questions About Lifestyle, Finances, and Resources
- How will my daily activities, such as work or school, change?
- How can I get help if I feel anxious or upset about having cancer? If I need help coping with family responsibilities?
- What costs will my insurance cover? Who can answer my questions about how to pay for treatment?
- How can I get help with financial and legal issues (for example, getting financial assistance, preparing a will or an advance directive)?
- How can I get help with my spiritual needs?
- Can you suggest a support group that might help me?