My name is Dr. Beverly Schaefer and I’m a pediatric hematologist/oncologist who specializes in bleeding disorders and blood clots in children at Roswell Park. I carefully evaluate a child’s risk of clotting and help tailor a treatment plan that may include advising on lifestyle changes or blood thinners.
I am board certified in both pediatrics and pediatric hematology and oncology. I received my medical degree from SUNY Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, NY and completed my residency both at A.I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, DE and Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, PA. My fellowship was at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center in Cincinnati, OH.
I’m an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at Roswell Park and a Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the Jacobs School of Medicine & Biomedical Sciences, University at Buffalo (UB). I’m also a staff physician at the Hemophilia Center of WNY.
- Schaefer BA, Gruppo R, Mullins ES, Tarango C. Subcutaneous diphtheria and tetanus vaccines in children with haemophilia: a pilot study and review of the literature. Haemophilia. In Press.
- Schaefer BA, Johnson TS, Hooper DK, Nathan JD, Geller JI. Translocation Renal Cell Carcinoma in Three Children on Immunosuppression. Peds Transplant 21(4).2017 Mar 21
- Pecker L, Schaefer BA, Luchtman-Jones LL. Knowledge Insufficient: The Management of Haemoglobin SC Disease. BJH
- Schaefer BA, Kiyaga C, Howard TA, Ndeezi G, Hernandez AG, Ssewanyana I, Paniagua MC, Ndugwa CM, Aceng J, Ware RE. Hemoglobin variants identified in the Uganda Sickle Surveillance Study. Blood Advances. 2016 Nov 29;1(1):93-100
- Schaefer BA, Flanagan JM, Alvarez OA, Nelson, SC, Aygun B, Nottage KA, George A, Roberts CW, Piccone CM, Howard TA, Davis BR, Ware, RE. Genetic modifiers of white blood cell count, glomerular filtration and albuminuria in children with sickle cell anemia. PLOS One 2016 Oct 6;11(10):e0164364