About Barbara Henderson
Dr. Barbara W. Henderson earned her doctoral degree in Zoology at the University of Graz, Austria, in 1966 and joined the staff of Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center (Roswell Park) in 1970, as a Cancer Research Scientist. Dr. Henderson was the Program Leader, Biophysical Therapies Program, and the first Chair of the Department of Cell Stress Biology. She retired from these positions in 2015 as the Director of the Photodynamic Therapy Center.
Dr. Henderson's laboratory research has provided numerous seminal insights into the mechanisms and strategies for optimization of photodynamic therapy (PDT); oxygen and light dependency of PDT; the effect of PDT on the host immune response against tumor; and determinants of photodynamic tumor destruction.
Dr. Henderson was a member of the American Association for Cancer Research, American Society of Photobiology, International Photodynamic Association, and the Radiation Research Society. She had for many years served as Associate Editor of the journal Photochemistry and Photobiology. She is a past member of the NCI Radiation Study Section and Subcommittee D (Clinical Studies) of the NCI Initial Review Group. She was a member of numerous committees at Roswell Park and had authored or co-authored more than 80 journal publications, book chapters and abstracts.
- Emeritus Faculty
- Cell Stress Biology
Education and Training:
- PhD - Zoology, University of Graz, Austria
- Sunar U, Rohrbach D, Rigual N, Tracy E, Keymel K, Cooper MT, Baumann H, Henderson BH. Monitoring photobleaching and hemodynamic responses to HPPH-mediated photodynamic therapy of head and neck cancer: a case report. Opt Express. 2010 Jul 5;18(14):14969-78. doi: 10.1364/OE.18.014969. PMID: 20639983; PMCID: PMC2964147.
- Rigual NR, Thankappan K, Cooper M, Sullivan MA, Dougherty T, Popat SR, Loree TR, Biel MA, Henderson B. Photodynamic therapy for head and neck dysplasia and cancer. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009 Aug;135(8):784-8. doi: 10.1001/archoto.2009.98. PMID: 19687399; PMCID: PMC2810853.
- Zheng X, Morgan J, Pandey SK, Chen Y, Tracy E, Baumann H, Missert JR, Batt C, Jackson J, Bellnier DA, Henderson BW, Pandey RK. Conjugation of 2-(1'-hexyloxyethyl)-2-devinylpyropheophorbide-a (HPPH) to carbohydrates changes its subcellular distribution and enhances photodynamic activity in vivo. J Med Chem. 2009 Jul 23;52(14):4306-18. doi: 10.1021/jm9001617. PMID: 19507863; PMCID: PMC2913405.
- Becker TL, Paquette AD, Keymel KR, Henderson BW, Sunar U. Monitoring blood flow responses during topical ALA-PDT. Biomedical optics express 2010;2(1):123-130
- Seshadri M, Bellnier DA, Vaughan LA, Spernyak JA, Mazurchuk R, Foster TH,Henderson BW. Light delivery over extended time periods enhances the effectiveness of photodynamic therapy. Clinical cancer research 2008;14(9):2796-2805
- Henderson BW, Daroqui C, Tracy E, Vaughan LA, Loewen GM, Cooper MT, Baumann H. Cross-linking of signal transducer and activator of transcription 3--a molecular marker for the photodynamic reaction in cells and tumors. Clinical cancer research 2007; 13(11):3156-3163
- Kousis PC, Henderson BW, Maier PG, Gollnick SO. Photodynamic therapy enhancement of antitumor immunity is regulated by neutrophils. Cancer research 2007; 67(21):10501-10510
- Pandey SK, Dougherty TJ, Henderson BW, Oseroff AR, Bellnier DA, Shibata M, Liu TH, Missert JR, Morgan J, Zheng X, Pandey RK. Purpurinimide carbohydrate conjugates: effect of the position of the carbohydrate moiety in photosensitizing efficacy. Molecular pharmaceutics 2007; 4(3):448-464
- Wei LH, Baumann H, Tracy E, Wang Y, Hutson A, Rose-John S, Henderson BW. Interleukin-6 trans signalling enhances photodynamic therapy by modulating cell cycling. British journal of cancer 2007; 97(11):1513-1522
- Nava HR, Allamaneni SS, Dougherty TJ, Cooper MT, Tan W, Wilding G,Henderson BW. Photodynamic therapy (PDT) using HPPH for the treatment of precancerous lesions associated with barrett's esophagus. Lasers in surgery and medicine 2011; 43(7):705-712
- Seshadri M, Spernyak JA, Mazurchuk R, Vaughan LA, Bellnier DA, Henderson BW. Fluence rate effects on tumor oxygenation during photodynamic therapy for cancer: A BOLD (fMRI) experience. Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 2007; 48:1292-1293
- Tracy EC, Bowman MJ, Pandey RK, Henderson BW, Baumann H. Cell-type selective phototoxicity achieved with chlorophyll-a derived photosensitizers in a co-culture system of primary human tumor and normal lung cells. Photochemistry and photobiology 2011; 87(6):1405-1418
- Rohrbach DJ, Rigual N, Tracy E, Kowalczewski A, Keymel KL, Cooper MT, Mo W, Baumann H, Henderson BW, Sunar U. Interlesion differences in the local photodynamic therapy response of oral cavity lesions assessed by diffuse optical spectroscopies. Biomedical optics express 2012; 3(9):2142-2153