Our World-Class Team
Our accomplished physicians are leaders in the field and hold leadership roles in the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN). Roswell Park oncologists not only follow the evidence-based NCCN treatment guidelines used by physicians around the world; they write them.
- Our bladder cancer team is headed by Khurshid A. Guru, MD, FABU, Chair, Department of Urology and Director of Robotic Surgery, one of the most experienced and accomplished robotic surgeons in the world. Dr. Guru has performed more than 2,500 robot-assisted surgical procedures, including more than 525 robotic radical cystectomies.
- We provide multidisciplinary cancer care that integrates the expertise from several specialists, including oncology-focused urologists, medical and radiation oncologists, dietitians, physical therapists and more as part of our cancer care pathway for every patient with a bladder cancer diagnosis.
Our Cutting-Edge Therapies
We offer treatments at the forefront of cancer care, plus clinicians with the knowledge and experience to use them. Our patients with bladder cancer may opt for a treatment plan that includes:
- Enrolling in clinical trials to access to the very latest drugs, immunotherapies and targeted agents — oftentimes years before they become available from other providers. Roswell Park opens new clinical trials every day.
- Treatment with Gamma Knife Radiosurgery, a minimally-invasive radiotherapy approach for metastatic disease to the brain, and a safer, brain-sparing treatment that improves survival and quality of life. Roswell Park is the only provider in the region offering Gamma Knife radiosurgery.
- Robotic radical cystectomy. We are a high-volume center for this complex surgery, and our program is headed by Khurshid A. Guru, MD, FABU, who performed one of the world’s first radical cystectomy robotically. Regarded as one of the top robotic surgeons in the world, Dr. Guru has performed more than 2,500 robot-assisted surgical procedures, including more than 525 robotic radical cystectomies.
Roswell Park now performs 98% of all radical cystectomies with robotic surgery, the highest percentage in all of New York State.
Roswell Park’s Robotic Surgery Program has expanded to offer minimally-invasive robotic surgery for kidney and prostate procedures as well as thoracic, gynecological and gastrointestinal disease. Roswell Park is now a global training center where surgeons from around the world come to learn robotic surgical techniques.
Our Commitment to Quality, Comprehensive Care
We provide multidisciplinary cancer care that integrates the expertise from several specialists, including oncology-focused urologists, medical and radiation oncologists, dietitians, physical therapists and more as part of our cancer care pathway for every patient with a bladder cancer diagnosis. Our comprehensive care includes:
- Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) Pathway, a program at Roswell Park that improves quality of care, reduces complications, shortens hospital stays and speeds return to normal activities. Our program focuses on preparing you for surgery with counseling, education and improving your health and nutrition status, and preventing complications with early mobilization and other measures immediately post-surgery.
- A Prehabilitation program created especially for our bladder cancer patients that begins physical therapy several weeks before surgery to improve respiratory and physical function, mobility and tolerance for exercise. We resume physical therapy after surgery and continue as long as necessary to achieve maximum recovery, function and quality of life.
- Adherence to a Quality Cystectomy Score (QCS) for each and every radical cystectomy we perform. The QCS is a measure developed at Roswell Park and published nationally that identifies eight specific criteria that contribute to a successful bladder cancer surgery and improved survival.
Our physicians and scientists collaborate to advance the science and improve cancer care through our robust research program. With our emphasis on translational research, we strive to bring together the latest discoveries made in basic science, clinical research and population studies, and translate these into new treatments, technologies and applications to help our patients with bladder cancer today. Some of our innovative accomplishments include:
- Developing the robot-assisted technique for W-shaped neobladder, a surgical approach to create a bladder substitute and urinary diversion that allows patients to live a near-normal life after radical cystectomy.
- Creating a user-friendly BCG Treatment App for patients considering or undergoing Bacillus Calmentte-Guerin (BCG) treatment. Patients can download this self-education tool to help understand their diagnosis and treatment options and comply with the BCG treatment schedule. The BCG Treatment app is available for free through iTunes and Google Play.
- The Applied Technology Laboratory for Advanced Surgery Program (ATLAS), founded by Khurshid A. Guru, MD, FABU at Roswell Park, and has grown into a global training center for robot-assisted surgery. The program has designed and piloted several ground-breaking inventions including one of the first robotic surgery simulators and initiatives in artificial intelligence, patient safety and operating room communications.